Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#229022 - 08/03/11 03:03 AM Slow sand filters
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I read a bit periodically about slow sand filters. I understand the concept, and that the method depends on the bacteria layer on the top.

What I don't understand is how one would keep the bacteria layer moist (which it has to be, or it becomes ineffective).

Specifically, how do you think you would do this? I'm thinking some kind of controlled trickle, but how?

Sue

#229027 - 08/03/11 04:47 AM Re: Slow sand filters [Re: Susan]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Recirculation?

Something to catch water under with tube pumping water (solar powered?) back onto the sand?

-john

#229043 - 08/03/11 03:51 PM Re: Slow sand filters [Re: Susan]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Take a look at the cross-section image on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioSand_Filter

The outlet comes out the bottom and then up to a level that is above the sand. When water stops flowing in the top, the filter doesn't drain completely, only to the level of the outlet.

That being said, I understand that they like best to have a continuous flow. It also takes some period of time with water flowing through it for a brand new filter to develop the layer of bacteria.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#229044 - 08/03/11 04:02 PM Re: Slow sand filters [Re: thseng]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
This is a nice concise description you found thseng.

In places like Haiti where people need not only clean water but
employment, the building and selling of biosand filters by
nationals has been a boon to local economies.

It may be possible to inoculate a filter using an existing filter's smutzedecke, as long as the same water source
is used by both filters. This might speed up the time it takes
for the bacterial disinfection action to start. Still might be
several days.

I remember hearing there is evidence that chemical eating bacterial grow and can remove oil and other man made materials.

#229076 - 08/03/11 10:02 PM Re: Slow sand filters [Re: thseng]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Thank you, thseng!

Using the fact that water seeks its own level is the simplest way to do it!

I didn't think of that... blush

I didn't think of looking at Wikipedia, either... blush

Sue

#229079 - 08/03/11 10:26 PM Re: Slow sand filters [Re: Susan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Okay, next question...

Sometimes I see these short lengths of concrete pipe at construction sites (early phase) that I've wondered if they would be good for this kind of filter. They appear to be 20-24" wide and about the same in length, with a molded lip.

I don't know what kind of pipe they're called, though. But do you think three of these (assuming you know what I mean), could be stacked to form a tight enough column for a sand filter? And, since I don't know what they're called, I don't know if any of them come with holes suitable for a pipe, or not. I wonder how hard it would be to drill a hole?

It seems you could set the first one in place, seal the bottom with concrete, add the bottom gravel, coarse sand, and top with fine sand, then add the second length, fill with more fine sand, and then put the diffuser in the third one, and top with a lid with a hole for a pipe, or even no pipe if you would be around to fill it with a bucket.

I also just passed another construction site and coveted some of the wide turquoise plastic (probably sewer?) pipe that was at least 18" wide, maybe more. (You have probably noticed by now that I am obviously in the wrong line of work.) If I happened to find one of these mysteriously lying in my front yard (not likely), would it be suitable for potable water? Or would contaminant leaching be an issue?

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

Sue

#229090 - 08/04/11 12:08 AM Re: Slow sand filters [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My Grandma has always said that we should learn something new every day. Thanks Sue! smile

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#229101 - 08/04/11 02:47 AM Re: Slow sand filters [Re: thseng]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: thseng
Take a look at the cross-section image on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioSand_Filter

The outlet comes out the bottom and then up to a level that is above the sand. When water stops flowing in the top, the filter doesn't drain completely, only to the level of the outlet.

That being said, I understand that they like best to have a continuous flow. It also takes some period of time with water flowing through it for a brand new filter to develop the layer of bacteria.

Keep in mind though that the biosludge (bacteria) layer needs oxygen. It is best if the water continuously falls onto a splash plate above the bacteria layer. The picture in Wikipedia is the next-best thing but the water level can't be over 2 inches deep over the biosludge. It needs to be that shallow so that oxygen can diffuse through the water to the bacteria.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#229228 - 08/05/11 01:06 PM Re: Slow sand filters [Re: Blast]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

If you follow the links from wikipedia to Manz Water Info, their Guidance and Construction Manuals go in great detail on this topic, with pretty pictures smile

#229356 - 08/07/11 05:32 AM Re: Slow sand filters [Re: Susan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Thanks for the tip, EMP.

Sue

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (miner), 510 Guests and 136 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.