Topic Options
#216130 - 02/01/11 03:58 AM How to foil wide-scale internet shutdown
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Another good reason to keep a POTS line and modem around:

http://lifehacker.com/5746046/how-to-foil-a-nationwide-internet-shutdown

#216172 - 02/01/11 06:59 PM Re: How to foil wide-scale internet shutdown [Re: GarlyDog]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Satellite phones and ham radio work, too.

#216174 - 02/01/11 07:12 PM Re: How to foil wide-scale internet shutdown [Re: philip]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
So, does ad-hoc Wifi networks actually work in these cases? where there's ONE link to the outside and no infrastructure.

#216176 - 02/01/11 07:21 PM Re: How to foil wide-scale internet shutdown [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
So, does ad-hoc Wifi networks actually work in these cases? where there's ONE link to the outside and no infrastructure.

From my bedroom I can pick up (though not log on to) the WiFi network of seven neighbors. Would it be possible to set up a neighborhood-wide WiFi network using everyone's WiFi routers? We couldn't talk to the outside world but could we send messages and information between houses in this manner? That in it's own way would be a good safety net.

I can envision a local HAM posting news updates, a nurse or doctor being on call to respond to a medical emergency, someone passing files to people on treating water, etc...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#216178 - 02/01/11 07:31 PM Re: How to foil wide-scale internet shutdown [Re: GarlyDog]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Yes Blast, you can set up a neighborhood wi-fi intranet.
Altho, from a security viewpoint this is not advisable.

And as stated, the only info you would have is what you already have on one of the computers. Still, would be quick and easy to pass info. Check on the web for info on how to do it, would be too long to post here, and I'm lazy.

If you want to be "really secure" see what the cost of running underground co-ax would be. I'm thinking probably not cost-effective in the long run, but a thought.

#216180 - 02/01/11 07:54 PM Re: How to foil wide-scale internet shutdown [Re: Blast]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Chances are you wouldn't be able to set up an ad-hoc WiFi Intranet as most likely your neighbors are using completely different and incompatible router models, which probably don't have the facility to provide wireless bridging functionality.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessproducts/f/apbridgingmode.htm

Typically you would need to be using the same router manufacturer which have the a wireless bridging facility.

To bridge the individual networks wirelessly (assumming you can get the basic network working) requires some network design skills and agreements to cater for everyones requirements and to provide intranet communications requires some knowledge in setting up dedicated intranet email, webpage and DNS servers to share information on the local Intranet.

Typically a wireless bridge setup configuration is shown here;

http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=117

Then there is the issue of security.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (02/01/11 08:04 PM)

#216181 - 02/01/11 07:57 PM Re: How to foil wide-scale internet shutdown [Re: Blast]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Blast
From my bedroom I can pick up (though not log on to) the WiFi network of seven neighbors. Would it be possible to set up a neighborhood-wide WiFi network using everyone's WiFi routers? We couldn't talk to the outside world but could we send messages and information between houses in this manner? That in it's own way would be a good safety net.

There are two ways to do this: Create an ad-hoc network of end-nodes (not wireless APs or routers). This works out of the box with most laptops but isn't easy to do well on a neighborhood scale. The devices move and most of them have crummy antennas.

The better way is to set up "mesh" wireless via APs or routers. Unfortunately almost no consumer-grade gear is capable of doing this out of the box. Some consumer-grade gear can be modified in software to support mesh wireless, and this can work well. It requires compatible hardware and either a dedicated hobbyist or a professional to set up. It may also require an investment in antennas. You could conceivably set up IRLP or some other packets-over-HAM-radio technology to permit people to email health and welfare information to the outside world.

Setting up an FRS or CB radio watch is a lot easier, I'd think.

#216192 - 02/01/11 09:25 PM Re: How to foil wide-scale internet shutdown [Re: chaosmagnet]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Setting up an FRS or CB radio watch is a lot easier, I'd think.

That's actually what we did during hurricane Ike. Rather than continue to hijack this thread I'm going to start another.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#216204 - 02/01/11 10:30 PM Re: How to foil wide-scale internet shutdown [Re: JBMat]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: JBMat
Yes Blast, you can set up a neighborhood wi-fi intranet.
Altho, from a security viewpoint this is not advisable.

Why? Can you be more specific?

#216217 - 02/01/11 11:43 PM Re: How to foil wide-scale internet shutdown [Re: GarlyDog]
MrEnergyCzar Offline
Stranger

Loc: CT
You can use your old dial-up connections or ham radio like they are in Egypt. In Egypt they call out to other countries dial up numbers.....

MrEnergyCzar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.