Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#172310 - 04/28/09 09:03 PM Pandemic-specific items
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

The current flu situation, even if it proves to not be overly serious, has got me thinking about what pandemic-specific items we already have in the house, and what else might need to be be included. So far I've come up with the following:

* soap
* hand sanitizer
* bleach
* cleaning wipes
* hand lotion
* lip balm
* rehydration salts
* expectorants (i.e. guafenesein)
* pain relievers (i.e. acetaminophen)
* hot water bottle
* extra blankets
* extra sheets
* thermometers
* neti pot (for clearing nasal passages)
* sterile saline solution
* bulb syringe
* tissues
* canned broth
* lemon juice
* honey
* throat lozenges

Any other ideas...?

My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#172315 - 04/28/09 09:23 PM Re: Pandemic-specific items [Re: Meadowlark]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Bed -how could you forget a place to sleep.

"Dexter", or other show you like, on DVD.

Strong coffee - I find that when sick if I caffeinate myself and force myself awake and to do light exercise I can afterward dive into deep-immersion sleep for 12 hours or more. After that it is up again and just a matter of wash, rinse, repeat until the virus gives up.

If I just lay in bed I end up in a half-awake funk with sleep that is not restful. With sleep, waking and fever all mashing together. Time goes sideways as I dream about being awake, sleep drifts into my wakefulness, and fever fills in the gaps with snapshots from my subconscious garden of delights and horror.

#172319 - 04/28/09 09:53 PM Re: Pandemic-specific items [Re: Art_in_FL]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
gloves, mask, puke bucket, chamber pot (bed pan?)
A fan might be nice if you need to bring their temperature down.

Aspirin and Acetaminophen help reduce fevers as well as control pain. If they can't take those there are other ones that do that too.

Keep in mind that you should be seeking medical help early with this one. This is not a common cold.

Edited by scafool (04/28/09 11:08 PM)

#172325 - 04/28/09 10:16 PM Re: Pandemic-specific items [Re: scafool]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Is aspirin a good thing to take when one has the flu or is thinning the blood counter-productive?

Reducing fevers. . . aren't fevers (higher than normal body temps) a defense mechanism to kill virus'? To a certain point high temps are a good thing. Too high and there are other issues (death), but shouldn't a typical fever associated with the flu be accepted as part of dealing with illness. Reducing temps to that 98.6 figure might not be the best thing when fighting a virus.

Am I mistaken in these thoughts? I never take aspirin or any other meds. Good water, good food and a few vitamins & minerals.

#172326 - 04/28/09 10:21 PM Re: Pandemic-specific items [Re: Russ]
Hookpunch Offline

If you have toddlers/infants then pedialyte, or any oral rehydration liquid with electrolytes, maybe gravol to control vomiting.

#172331 - 04/28/09 11:04 PM Re: Pandemic-specific items [Re: Russ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Yes Russ. You are pretty much right.
Fever is a defense mechanism, but fever is a risk too if it is too high and causes damage to the person as well as to the disease.
So while fever is a symptom up to a point after that point it becomes a complication that has to be dealt with in its own right.

Temperatures above 106 degrees Fahrenheit can result in brain damage and possibly death. That high of a fever is pretty unusual and a very high fever is indeed an emergency situation that needs to be reduced.
Ice packs and cold baths might even be needed.

Up to about 102 or 103 degrees you are likely better to just make sure they have plenty of fluids and let them sweat it out, but above that you need to start worrying about the effect of the fever itself.

I don't know if the blood thinning effect would matter.

Edited by scafool (04/28/09 11:37 PM)

#172339 - 04/29/09 01:29 AM Re: Pandemic-specific items [Re: scafool]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
If you may be caring for others who are sick, and have to wear protective gear, you might consider materials to create a "decontamination chamber" and a "clean room" where you can let down your guard a little.

Plastic, stapler and duct tape to create a pair of doors. A place to take off dirty clothes and put on clean ones. A shower or at least a tap and spray hose. I like a couple of trigger spray bottles with a drop of dish soap and a dash of bleach to wash down everything from door handles to rubber gloves and shoes.

Inside the clean room, radio, TV, phone, internet, where you can gather information and contact family without upsetting your charges.

Do not discount the physical and psychological value of such a space. You can't help others swim if you're drowning yourself.

P.S., After I got hit with a norovirus a couple of years ago, the only thing I could look at and keep down, as I rose slowly from the almost-dead, was chicken cup-a-soup. Hydration, salts, and a few light calories -- perfect.

#172340 - 04/29/09 01:31 AM Re: Pandemic-specific items [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Remember that cold packs (reusable ice packs) placed in strategic areas (areas of large blood flow) can and do help to reduce one's temp. One must remember to protect the sites where the cold packs are placed to prevent cold injuries to the skin.

I generally place them under the arms, inside the legs, about the neck and on the breasts. I would also advise staying out of arms reach of the person you are applying them on. I have been on both sides of the ice pack and neither was pleasant. DW darn near changed my voice for me when she last had a high fever.

Careful with the aspirin and young children, I don't remember why but I do remember that it was a problem. (Maybe I cannot remember because mom gave me aspirin as a child???)

RIP OBG

#172348 - 04/29/09 02:40 AM Re: Pandemic-specific items [Re: Desperado]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Careful with the aspirin and young children, I don't remember why but I do remember that it was a problem. (Maybe I cannot remember because mom gave me aspirin as a child???)

Reyes Syndrome. Low probability, but high consequence. Avoid aspirin & aspirin containing products in patients < 18.

#172349 - 04/29/09 02:43 AM Re: Pandemic-specific items [Re: Desperado]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Quote:
Careful with the aspirin and young children, I don't remember why but I do remember that it was a problem.

I think you're referring to Reye's Syndrome?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 617 Guests and 114 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.