Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#146761 - 08/31/08 02:29 AM Top 12 foods for long term storage
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Interesting. I never would have picked canned tomatoes but he makes a good argument via nutritional value.

12 food for long term storage

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#146778 - 08/31/08 03:12 AM Re: Top 12 foods for long term storage [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
No surprise, at least to me, that peanut butter was right at the top. Didn't notice okra there anywhere...

#146779 - 08/31/08 03:12 AM Re: Top 12 foods for long term storage [Re: Blast]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

That was a good article. I like that canned tomatoes are considered good LT food, because they can be used in combination with another LT staple item or two to make various meals.

I had no idea cheese was considered what they call a "complete" food unto itself, meaning that you could survive on just that. That's pretty cool. And if you ate nothing but cheese, you'd probably never have to worry about going to the bathroom again, either! :-o They specify raw milk cheese from grass fed cows, but I wonder if that has anything to do with the nutritional value of the cheese or just their desire to avoid Pasteurized, "non-organic" milk for other health concerns.

The mention of meats suitable for canning makes me a bit nervous, as the impression I always got was that trying to can meat was just too risky for an amateur to try.

Anyway, good food for thought.

David

#146783 - 08/31/08 04:01 AM Re: Top 12 foods for long term storage [Re: bigmbogo]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Canned stewed tomatoes were an old standby in 19th century cowboy chuck.Dried peas went into a Wermacht dried soup ration, still made, still unavailable in the USA except to determined prussian reenactors who won't share.

#146788 - 08/31/08 05:07 AM Re: Top 12 foods for long term storage [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Canned tomatoes were also carried by cowboys for their water content. In places where you knew you weren't going to see water, canned tomatoes were a way to carry it.

#146789 - 08/31/08 05:23 AM Re: Top 12 foods for long term storage [Re: Blast]
LED Offline
Veteran

Man I love sardines and would eat 'em anyway but its nice to know they're kind of healthy. I'm buying more sardines. And maybe some okra, but only the one's canned with the slime. Good for the plumbing if you know what I mean.

#146798 - 08/31/08 08:32 AM Re: Top 12 foods for long term storage [Re: LED]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Shocked Art's canned alligator didn't make the list:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=146751&page=3

#146802 - 08/31/08 11:08 AM Re: Top 12 foods for long term storage [Re: LED]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Pickled Okra, that's the way to go. Mmm.

#146806 - 08/31/08 11:45 AM Re: Top 12 foods for long term storage [Re: Blast]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Canned Tomatoes - LONG TERM STORAGE?!

My guess is that the original writer has never stored ANY tomatoe product in a CAN for any amount of LONG TERM.

Assuming the term CAN means STEEL CAN and not the home canning process that involves GLASS JARS, you cannot store any tomatoe product at room temperature for 10 years.

At 5 years at room temperature, you are pushing your luck. The acid in all liquid forms of tomatoes attacks the seals and eats thru. Your first hint will be a black ring on your shelf around the bottom of a couple of cans. When you open the offending can, you will note that the inside of the can has turned dark due to corrosion.

This chemical reaction doubles as you raise the temperature 10 degrees C.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#146808 - 08/31/08 11:57 AM Re: Top 12 foods for long term storage [Re: ponder]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
There are several good articles found using ask.com - "canned tomatoe corrosion"

Here is a non-technical summary article -

Food Preservation-Canned Food Safety
There are limits to how long food quality can be preserved. Why? Several factors limit the shelf-life of canned foods.

Cans or metal lids on glass jars can rust. When rust is deep enough, tiny holes open in the can or lid that may let spoilage agents in. Shipping accidents that dent or crush cans cause problems.
Can corrosion. Food reacts chemically with the metal container, especially high-acid food like canned tomatoes and fruit juices. Over several years, this causes taste and texture changes. It eventually lowers the nutritional value of the food.
Temperatures over 100 degrees Fahrenheit are harmful to canned foods. The risk of spoilage jumps sharply as storage temperatures rise. At prolonged storage temperatures above 75 degrees, nutrient loss in canned foods increases. Light can cause color changes and nutrient losses in foods canned in glass jars.
Never use foods from containers with these spoilage warning signs: loose or bulging lids on jars; bulging, leaking or badly dented cans (especially along the top, side and bottom seams), or foods with a foul odor.

TO STORE CANNED FOOD WISELY, FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES:
Store in a cool, clean, dry place where temperatures are below 85 degrees (between 50-70 degrees is good) but not freezing temperatures.
Rotate foods so the oldest is used first. Try not to keep canned foods more than one year.
Use canned meats and seafood within 12 months.
Use low-acid canned foods within 8-12 months.
Use high-acid foods within 12 to 18 months. Foods stored longer will be safe to eat if the cans show no signs of spoilage or damage but may deteriorate in color, flavor and nutritive value.
Canned fruit juices can be stored up to 3 years.
For more information, call AnswerLine at 800-854-1678.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Food Preservation-Canned Food Safety Number: 642
Script writer: Jan Rasmussen Source: U of MN Dept of Food Science and Nutrition, U of WI Extension Service
Date: 1992/1998/2003 Reviewer: Bill Schafer, Carol Burtness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Info-U Home Page

University of Minnesota Extension Home Page

Copyright © 1998 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.