Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#215199 - 01/18/11 04:21 PM Avalanches cut off B.C. town's food supply
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Although this news article makes it sound like the people who live in town of Field BC are running out of food, it is actually the people who are stranded there who are putting a strain on the town's food supply...

Just another reason why it is good idea to stock your vehicle with at least a couple of days of food when planning trips through mountainous and avalanche country where multi-day road closures are common this time of year.

John Lubbock

#215201 - 01/18/11 04:26 PM Re: Avalanches cut off B.C. town's food supply [Re: Teslinhiker]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

That is an instructive story - thanks for the article link.

#215210 - 01/18/11 05:09 PM Re: Avalanches cut off B.C. town's food supply [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Given the massive snow dump we've had over the last while, the avalanche situation is no surprise. The highway and railway go through some highly vertical terrain. There have already been several backcountry fatalities in that area -- not the usual wingnuts, but some smart and highly experienced people.

On good roads, people punch right through from Calgary AB to Golden BC in an hour or hour-and-a-half. It's not a place you'd expect to be stranded. IIRC, Field is just a whistle stop.

#215213 - 01/18/11 05:14 PM Re: Avalanches cut off B.C. town's food supply [Re: Dagny]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Dagny

That is an instructive story - thanks for the article link.

Instructive is right. And time to go check the expiration dates in my car kit.

HJ

#215219 - 01/18/11 07:01 PM Re: Avalanches cut off B.C. town's food supply [Re: Teslinhiker]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
>it is actually the people who are stranded there who are putting a strain on the town's food supply...

The flaw in a lot of 'I've got a months food in' plans.
What if you get stuck with visitors? Suddenly that 'months worth of food' (for 1 person) has to go around everyone at the party.
qjs

#215222 - 01/18/11 07:28 PM Re: Avalanches cut off B.C. town's food supply [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In a relatively small scale situation like this, I wouldn't worry too much. If you were to be at my house, you would be fed.

#215223 - 01/18/11 07:40 PM Re: Avalanches cut off B.C. town's food supply [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: hikermor
In a relatively small scale situation like this, I wouldn't worry too much. If you were to be at my house, you would be fed.

Same here, I could not turn out a traveler who is stranded in the same situation or similar regardless how much food I had on hand.

This same situation is playing out in Field right now and goes to show you that people will take in complete strangers and feed them when the need arises.

John Lubbock

#215249 - 01/19/11 12:11 AM Re: Avalanches cut off B.C. town's food supply [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One reason I feel the way I do is that I have been the beneficiary of other's hospitality.

Four of us were doing a technical climb in southern Arizona (SE ridge of Baboquivari) and we were delayed and benighted, spending the time huddling around a small campfire. We dragged ourselves out the next morn to the ranch house in the canyon where we had parked our car. I knew the rancher from previous trips, but I was truly surprised when they insisted on feeding us breakfast before we drove off.

What a breakfast it was! Elk steak, hashed browns, eggs to order, and a lake of really fine, strong coffee. On later trips, they always had some refreshment for us, while we told them of the climb and conditions on the mountain. A few years later, they needed a new water tank, and a bunch of us came out and poured the basal slab for them. It turned into a real festival..

#215253 - 01/19/11 01:23 AM Re: Avalanches cut off B.C. town's food supply [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor

+3. Nobody leaves my door hungry. Or lacks help or shelter if I can provide it.

Just this summer, my DW picked up a young fellow who was working in the open on the side of the highway (spraying weeds, I think) ... about 2 minutes ahead of a massive, freaky thunderstorm that could easily have spawned tornadoes, microbursts, and golf ball hail. I can't imagine sitting in the open with that end-of-the-world cloud bearing down on you. His supervisor (19!) forgot about him. We took him in, fed him supper, and after his ride came, sent off a sharp and pointy letter to the company he was working for.

As he was leaving, he offered to pay us (as I would have; common courtesy). Nothing doing; we told him to pay it forward. That's how you build a civil society. We've all been there.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 540 Guests and 97 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.