Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#157268 - 12/05/08 06:25 PM Glasses for long term
texasboots Offline

I wear glasses and contacts, contacts when Im doing somthing sweaty or dirty, glasses when im at work or relaxing at home. Im contemplating getting Laser surgery pretty soon, but have a question for you guys. What are the most rugged glasses you can think of? Im thinking some type of military issue or maybe Ray Ban aviators.

I wear a rimless style most of the time and I have a pair of wayfarer's I have prescription lenses in. The Wayfarers are pretty tough, as tested by my small son grabbing them off my face whenever he can. lol..

If we had a natural disaster having glasses that could withstand abuse would be an asset.

What do you bespeckled folks wear as your survival glasses?

#157270 - 12/05/08 06:38 PM Re: Glasses for long term [Re: texasboots]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Polycarbonite lenses like used in professional sports.

Alternatively, several commercial glasses makers (such as Oakley) will make prescreption lenses... that of course, fit their frames.

#157274 - 12/05/08 06:56 PM Re: Glasses for long term [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Polycarbonate lenses, or the thickest safety glass you can stand.

#157280 - 12/05/08 08:08 PM Re: Glasses for long term [Re: benjammin]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
I recognize that it is not a conservative option, but I had LASIK surgery performed back in early 2006, and I have been quite happy with the results.

My decision to ditch my glasses and contacts was precipitated by two events:

1) On September 11, 2001, I was in the World Trade Center. In the ensuing confusion, I lost my eyeglasses, most likely when I hit the deck to crawl under a car when I realized pieces of a building were coming down around me and I was not going to outrun them. Good times.

Luckily, my prescription was not particularly strong, and I was able to see well enough to walk hoome and retrieve an older pair of glasses, kept as emergency spares. However, it was troubling to be so reliant on such a fragile piece of equipment.

2) Sometime in the summer of 2005 I went for a 60+ mile bike ride at high speed on my road bike (up rt 9w towards Nyack from Manhattan, for those who are curious). Despite wearing some high dollar, cycling specific sunglasses to cut the wind, the contact lense I was wearing was completely plastered to one of my eyes. I had to soak my whole eye in a cup of saline solution for 20 minutes to get the lense out - if that hadn't worked, it was off to the ER for me. Again, it struck me that the equipment I needed to maintain my vision was somewhat precarious, given the activities I loved to do. (not to mention how annoying it was when my glasses fogged up while hiking, and how impossible it was to keep contacts clean on backpacking trips)

LASIK surgery was absolutely terrifying. And expensive - I did not go with a low-cost provider, nor would I recommend doing so. Find the best doctor, regardless of cost. However, I now have uncorrected 20/15 vision in both eyes, which is pretty cool.

I'm happy to write more about my LASIK experience, if anyone is interested. And I still wear high-quality safety glasses whenever I engage in an activity the poses even the slightest risk to my eyes.

#157281 - 12/05/08 08:10 PM Re: Glasses for long term [Re: texasboots]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i wear glasses and if i wanted "survival" glasses i would get the safety glasses that guys who work in steel mills or body shops have.i'm sure any Big Box optical shop would have them..if you wanted to go all out ask for the side shields--

#157283 - 12/05/08 08:23 PM Re: Glasses for long term [Re: CANOEDOGS]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The most common combat specs I saw in Iraq were from Wiley-X.

#157288 - 12/05/08 08:44 PM Re: Glasses for long term [Re: Jesselp]
hthomp Offline
Outdorus Fanaticas
Journeyman

Loc: AR
Lasik was definitely a life changing thing for me. My brother had the procedure about two years before I did, and he was pretty much able to tell me exactly what to expect.

Recovery during the first couple of weeks after can be pretty painful at times, but I have to say that it was all worth it.

I'd also be happy to answer any questions, if any, based on my personal experience with it.

BTW, I was 20/525 and 20/550 before procedure...blind as a bat, and a lifelong glasses/contact lens wearer.

Peace!

#157289 - 12/05/08 08:55 PM Re: Glasses for long term [Re: hthomp]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Wow, Hthomp, I thought I was bad at 20/180!

I plan on having some sort of surgery (Lasik or PRK) once I'm active duty for a while. I have heard, though, stories about changes to vision after the procedure. Specifically, gradually changing to a 20/40 or so power, as the eye continues to evolve.

BTW, I just got done with a 2-week stint in opthamology; not that I'm an expert, but if you have questions, I'll see if I can scrounge up an answer.

#157336 - 12/06/08 04:44 AM Re: Glasses for long term [Re: benjammin]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: benjammin
The most common combat specs I saw in Iraq were from Wiley-X.

Wiley-X no questions asked. I received a good sized rock to the left eye two years ago on my motorcycle. Almost ripped my entire head off my shoulders if you ask me. The Wiley-X eyewear was totaled, but I had no damage to my eye or the orbital bone around it. My face looked like a raccoon, but nothing happened to change my script.

Saw a testimonial from a Minnesota National Guard soldier regarding his Wiley-X goggles that saved his eyesight after an secondary IED went off to catch rescuers responding to a primary IED detonation in Iraq. Nuf said

RIP OBG

#157371 - 12/06/08 03:31 PM Re: Glasses for long term [Re: texasboots]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Ray Ban Outdoorsman , pretty good protection (I have had rocks kicked up by passing vehicles hit me in mine numerous times with nary a chip), and you look like a pilot (or highway cop)...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 639 Guests and 133 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.