The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#144130 - 08/14/08 03:12 AM Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I am looking at ways to store clothes and shoes in containers. I need to be able to access and re-store them failrly easily, but need to protect them from water, dust, etc. It would be nice to have see-through storage. I do not need rodent/bear/pest protection.

All the Rubbermaid-type storage seems to lack secure, waterproof closure.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#144132 - 08/14/08 03:44 AM Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes [Re: dweste]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Paper File Storage boxes are reasonably waterproof and inexpensive having lockable lids.

They should be available at your local Staples or office supplies store.

If you want complete waterproofness then your items such as clothes and shoes can be stored in a large drybags such as those manufactured by Ortlieb then placed into the plastic storage boxes.

#144134 - 08/14/08 04:13 AM Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
All the clear containers I've used are more brittle and expensive than rubbermaid stuff.

I use the old style rubbermaid tubs for camping as well as storage in outdoor sheds. Sheds water and squirrels very well, and does a decent job of resisting moisture/dust.

If the stuff inside is particularly moisture-sensitive, I pack it in one or two Glad clear garden bags (avoid cheap imitations). That way I can hoik out the entire bag and figure out where my spare shoes went.

The stuff you put in bags has to be reasonably dry or it will "compost" while you're not looking.

I'm not sure my method would survive the sinking of the Titanic, but then I'm a heckuva long way from the ocean. :-)

Edited by dougwalkabout (08/14/08 04:30 AM)

#144138 - 08/14/08 09:17 AM Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes [Re: dougwalkabout]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Try ordinary giant ziplock bags. I like to pack my clothes in 2 1/2 gallon bags when I travel so it will survive if rained on. If you need something rigid you can always pack them inside Rubbermaid bins.

#144153 - 08/14/08 01:21 PM Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes [Re: AROTC]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
That is what I was gonna say. Those big ziplocs are great for storing clothes, etc. Once sealed, you can put the bags of clothes into whatever container you happen to have handy...

#144188 - 08/14/08 10:37 PM Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I second the 5 gal plastic pail, they are tough and I get a lot of them free. Well kinda free, I have to buy the soap and cleaning powders that are in the buckets. I have 3-gal, 5-gal and 7-gal buckets.

Ask for them at restaurants, pickles and all kinds of food come in them.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#144192 - 08/14/08 11:04 PM Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes [Re: dweste]
Bill_G Offline
Journeyman

Are you looking for storage on land or on your boat? The answer will potentially lead to different approaches.

On land - hard containers (multiples of the same for stacking, etc) will be an option. On water - you might will be better served w/ soft containers you can put in small areas (under bunks, small closets, nooks and crannies, etc). There a many different types of water proof containers available. It all depends on your needs. I would not trust my valuables to "ziplock" bags. They are not sturdy enough, IMHO, to stand up to the rigors to life at sea. You might chack into some cruising forums to get ideas from them for onboard storage.

One item I would recommend is ALOKSAK (www.aloksak.com. I have used some of their smaller bags and have been pleased. (Disclaimer - No, I have no affiliation w/ them.) Just some things to consider.

#144203 - 08/15/08 12:07 AM Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes [Re: Bill_G]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Bill_G and others, good thoughts and questions.

I am primarily thinking about gear that will wind up on a boat. These are resources I have been studying:

http://cruisingresources.com/Waterproof_Boxes_and_Bags

http://store.thewaterproofstore.com/

If I was thinking land based I might check this some more:

http://neatcontainers.com/shop/index.php?cPath=2

I like freezer-style Ziplocks but have experienced too many holes and tears that made themselves know in unfortunate ways. I am looking to upgrade.

Right now drybags with transparent panels are looking pretty good - and, yes, I will probably use Ziplocks inside the drybags!

#144213 - 08/15/08 01:51 AM Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes [Re: BobS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Bakeries are a good source too, and they smell better than pickle buckets...

#144237 - 08/15/08 06:56 AM Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes [Re: OldBaldGuy]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
It depends on what degree of waterproofing is required, long term outdoor storage? or in a shed, loft or garage that you hope is weathertight, but might not be in extreme or exceptional conditions.

I have large stocks of clothing, footwear, blankets and other similar goods.
These are stored in large plastic crates, which are probably watertight, in a loft or roof space that is also probably weatherproof. As an additional and very cheap defence against water damage, each crate is covered with a piece of tarp cut to cover the top and about halfway down the sides, this being secured with bungee cord.

I keep large stocks not just of true survival supplies but of everday clothing, linens etc.
Although the world might end suddenly, I feel a slow slide into the second great deppresion is more likely.
Remember that in the 1930s foodstuffs, clothes, shoes, blankets etc were readily available in the shops, but many went cold, hungry and unshod for want of money to buy these articles.
It could happen again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 268 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.