Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#90943 - 04/12/07 05:18 PM Blitz Containers - Red Gas v. Light Blue Water
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
I tried searching on here for my answer but there are too many results to look through so I will ask (forgive me is it has been asked before).

Since I do not like the newly redesigned Aquatainer vent valve I've been looking at the light blue 6.5 gallon Blitz water containers to use for water storage. I have found the prices run from about $10 up to $22 each. I can buy the red 5 gallon gas cans on sale locally for less than $5 each. From what I can tell the only difference is the color and size. Is there anything worng with me using the red gas cans for watter storage as long as I clearly label them as water? I am planning on buying a lot of them for storage at multiple sites so I'm trying not to spend a fortune, plus I want the containers to be a managable size for my wife and daughters.

#90946 - 04/12/07 05:37 PM Re: Blitz Containers - Red Gas v. Light Blue Water [Re: gatormba]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Knowing the government, there might be some DOT regulations on transporting something other than gas in a "gas can". Perhaps a coating of blue paint might be in order (and comforting to the paramedics who come across your burning car). I know there's some special paint designed especially for bonding to plastic.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#90969 - 04/12/07 07:19 PM Re: Blitz Containers - Red Gas v. Light Blue Water [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
There are such regulations in such states, and the paint in question is most easily found with a slight markup under the Testors brand for model making.

As for using the ones made for gas for water, the ones for water are FDA certified for water. I'd want to find out if there were any chemical differences other than the dyes between red and blue.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#90973 - 04/12/07 07:41 PM Re: Blitz Containers - Red Gas v. Light Blue Water [Re: ironraven]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Just an idea - I was going to pick up an Aquatainer to try drilling and tapping the vent hole for a small plastic pipe plug...

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#90989 - 04/12/07 11:23 PM Re: Blitz Containers - Red Gas v. Light Blue Water [Re: thseng]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Gatormba.

Just checked the blue water jug I have, It is made from Food Grade plactic,it has a vent and a spigot that goes inside the unit for travel. the web site for the one I have is
www.relianceproducts.com
The company is in Canada but ships all over the states, I got mine in San Diego, Calif.

#91022 - 04/13/07 09:08 AM Re: Blitz Containers - Red Gas v. Light Blue Water [Re: big_al]
past_digger Offline

Loc: SD, USA
I posted a gripe a while back on the new aquatainer vents and I'm still looking for an alternative. There is a customer feedback link on the reliance site listed by big al. It might not do any good, but maybe if there were enough complaints, they would return to the old style screw top vents. And maybe pigs will fly... But you never know.

thseng, would you let us know if you have any luck with modifying the vent? thanks

#91944 - 04/22/07 01:13 AM Re: Blitz Containers - Red Gas v. Light Blue Water [Re: gatormba]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

Five dollars sounds very cheap, maybe too cheap.
I guess they are made of the same plastics as water
containers, I do not know. I have an aversion to
using color-coded stuff for other purposes, but I
do not know what the law is.

Re-cycling your own 2-liter pop bottles should work
for water and even kids can manage them. I especially
like 3-liter pop bottle, with wider mouth, from Kroger
or City Market.
I would think that Alabama would have an abundance of
water, and filtering/treating would be an additional
option.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.