Hello everyone,

Hope everyone had or is having a good holiday. I have another gear question for the ETS collective. It may also prove relevant to BPJ's recent thread on prepping for the Pacific Coast Trail. I didn't want to hi-jack her thread so figured I'd start a new one.

Specifically, I am looking for a compact sleeping bag option. What I have in mind is a bag rated for cold temps in the 0 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit range (I am generally cold-blooded so in this respect the warmer the better lol) that will pack down to a reasonably compact size so as not to take up too much space in my backpack. We have a potentially cold weather camp out coming up January 8th, as well as a 25 mile backpacking trip coming up in April. I need this bag to be useful in cold temps, as well as in warmer temps if possible (in my mind, a cold weather bag can be used in warmer weather by venting and not using the mummy feature as I have done this in the past with our current Coleman cold weather mummy bags).

Currently I am considering these two options. One is the Snugpak Travelpak 4. Another option I am considering is this one currently on woot, the Beaume -25 mummy bag.

Standard disclaimers apply, I have no affiliations with any of the companies above other than asa relatively happy customer.

Now, I am familiar with the Snugpak brand and have heard and read lots of good things about them so I am leaning more towards that option. The Beaume bag is tempting because of it's lower temp rating but I'm not familiar with the brand. Also I'm not sure it packs down as small (9 x 9 x15 for the Beaume vs 11 x 10 for the Snugpak).

I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts and recommendations here. All input is welcome, whether I am missing the boat on anything, other recommendations and so forth.

As always thanks in advance.

Edited by Mark_F (12/30/15 08:58 PM)