After about 20 years of owning a cell phone, my phone has just been stolen. It was an iPhone 5 on Verizon. I naively thought it would never happen to me. I realize that I could have done a much better job with my recovery plan. In the future, I'll be using the following:

1. Insurance for loss or theft. With insurance, the overall price for replacement is almost the price of a new phone. However, the replacement process is otherwise nerve-racking.

2. "Find my iPhone" App with GPS turned on all the time. GPS uses extra battery power, and keeping GPS on gives up some privacy. So be it.

3. iCloud backup. Backing up with iCloud allows remote wipe. I wasn't using iCloud because I prefer to be off the grid when I can, but that mode of operation is being updated.

4. Lock screen software. This software shows a text message about contact information on the locked screen. Such a message makes it easier for an honest person to return the phone.

5. Contact phone number taped to back of the phone.

These precautions are probably obvious to some people. I have learned my lesson the hard way.

Edited by ireckon (06/02/14 07:06 PM)
Edit Reason: Added #4 and #5