We had an interesting experience last week. My older daughter was visiting and along with my wife and middle daughter decided to head into DC and visit the Smithsonian for the day. I knew that “sharps’ might be a no-no, so I looked up the security restrictions and sure enough no “sharps” not even SAKs permitted.

The only thing I brought was my key chain flashlight (felt somewhat naked without a pocketknife and multitool) and ziplock of coins. As we approached the metal detectors, I started to take everything out of my pockets to head through and the guard told me it was not necessary, just go through the detector (most likely I could have brought my SAK, although not worth the risk). Neither the flashlight nor the ziplock bag of coins activated the detector. My wife did not bring a bag/purse, while both of my daughters had to have their bags searched. The guard questioned the Res-Q-Me’s on their key chains, they said “they were for seatbelts” and he let them pass. My middle daughter had pepper spray on her key chain, which was confiscated (it was old and needed to be replaced anyway). He joked that the whole family was “packing”.

Pete