eons ago when I first started posting here, just kidding, it's only been a short time really, I mentioned that I was interested in the psychology of preparing for survival.

That interest kinda gave way to the rush of acquiring some cool gear, learning some stuff, reading some books, more time needing to be spent at work, etc. But I'd like to revisit it, and put a question or two out to the group here at large.

How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear? I don't mean going camping and finding out that that the 20 degree sleeping bag is really a 40 degree sleeping bag, I mean an actual survival situation.

And, how many of you have pushed themselves past either a psychological or a physical or even an equipment limitation in order to see what would happen? Ever confronted someone cause you knew that you were better equipped to do so because of your training/gear? Ever wish you had? Ever wish you hadn't?

I'm asking cause in reading some other "survivalist" forums I read an underlying theme of disillusioned people hoping for some sort of apocalyptic/personal confrontation event to take place in order to prove themselves and I don't get the same sort of feel from things I read here.

I'm not writing a book, nor am I accumulating data for a research paper, I'm just an amateur psychologist interested in why people do the things that they do.

Private or public replies, your choice, private replies will remain so, I promise.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen