Well folks, here's the scoop.

New house, new location. A lot of the stuff I had gathered up over the years in my old place over ten years sadly needed to be used or given away. Things that I simply could not pull halfway across the country or have shipped like gasoline, water, and a lot of IMP's that I could not take or that would have cost more cash to move than they were worth. I was in a comfort zone in my old place and quite confident that I was prepared for any emergency buy now I kind of feel a little exposed. I got to doing a lot of thinking that I want to re-establish myself asap but at the same time I want to keep things a little more simple. I have been rethinking my approach on everything from my edc to my long term preparedness planning.

In my job, any emergency on a large scale will most certainly mean that my phone will ring, I will crawl out of bed and put on my uniform, and then I will be deployed to help out. My unit will provide all that I need for such an event, and the rear party elements will keep a watchful eye on the families left behind. My hopes of bugging in during a large scale blackout or storm etc will never come to pass most likely until I retire and the risk of being called out to aid other agencies in an emergency have passed. So far I have deployed to the Quebec ice storms, the Floods in Manitoba, and the fires in British Colombia. My focus now is shifting toward making sure my family left behind has all the gear necessary for an emergency should I be deployed. I want to keep a more realistic amount of supplies on hand to meet those requirements, but I do not want to break the bank spending tons of cash on supplies that I may never need to use. I will be putting a kid through university in the next few years so more and more extra money is going to be devoted to her education. In short, I want enough but not more than I may need.

I do not believe in the end of the world Bull***t, nor the sudden fall of society. I do believe that the years to follow will be interesting times to say the least though. And I believe that an emergency can strike at a moments notice. I want to remain prepared in my new home to face such and occurrence but I want to be realistic about what I need and what I only think I need. With the way the economy is going south every penny matters a little more every day. Under my old plan I had supplies on hand for a year.(this was very expensive to build and maintain) Now I plan to reduce that amount to only about 60 days. Maintaining more was getting a little on the expensive side, and taking up a lot of valuable space as well. I figure that with that much on hand we should be able to keep sustained until things stabilize after an emergency. If I had to move my family to safety then I could easily take most of the supply with me rather than leaving 90 % of it behind like before. If I am deployed and they are left behind then I know they have a good supply to get through most things that may pop up. I am close to a river full of fish now, I am surrounded by trees and I have deer and other critters everywhere on my land.(including one big mother****** that will feel the effect of my bow as soon as the season starts, muaa ha ha ha ha!!!) This is something that I count as a resource as well. Plenty of wood for heat, water for drinking and washing, and wildlife everywhere. Unlike the city I came from, I have these options available to make less of a need to have so much stored.

How long do you guys plan for? I know every situation is different. As well I am sure that this(like every other topic here) has been kicked up more than once and for that I apologize. Any one else face having to move and re-evaluate everything? Any tips, advice or points on re-establishing myself are welcome.

Since all my preparedness nut friends are back in Edmonton I figured I could still get some good advice here.