It's always good when a father and son can share some quality outdoor time together, so we cut a family campout short as Ruhl and I were scheduled to be at Camp Madron (Rota-Kiwan Scout Reservation) for summer camp.

Welcome to Campsite Houghton and Troop 433

After the obligatory swim test and settling in our abode for the week looked like this...

I took my fellow Scoutmaster's advise and purchased mosquito netting for my bunk. I think I made a believer out of Ruhl as well, he requested some for next year.

Our troop common camp area

We had 13 teen-ager type boys who were constantly kept busy (at least we tried) doing various activites which involved the acquisition of merit badges. Ruhl's favorite was his "Wilderness Survival" merit badge class.

Here he's trying to start a fire with a Fresnel lens... "Where'd that durn sun spot go?"

They also engaged in shelter building. The object was to build a shelter from natural materials (no tarps allowed; and no lashings utilized :huh: ) and on the next to last night of camp they were required to spend the night in said shelter. Here is Ruhl getting to work on his shelter...

Here it is nearly finished...

He did a pretty good job. It was well covered, but ventilated from the sides as the temps were still warm during the nights. His bed was made from pine needles. The only tool allowed was a Scout knife (folding variety; Swiss Army Camper in Ruhl's case).

My wife's culinary skills with the cast iron must be rubbing off, here is the peach cobbler that I created from the recipie in the Scout Manual...

Looks good huh? Tasted good too! This was done for a competition called the "Taste of Madron" which was held on Thursday night. We had entertainment as well. One of the camp staff is a 19 year old Eagle Scout known simply as "R"... A real fire-breather...

Overall our experience was quite positive and we are looking forward to going back next year.