My son and I, upon mutual agreement, have withdrawn from the cub scouts for a long list of reasons, all of which I won't share here, with one exception: He was not allowed to carry a pocket knife to meetings and/or events.

We have formed, with 20 other people, aged 7 to 45, the "Young Adventurers Club" and we are doing stuff that I thought we should have been doing in the scouts all along. A lot of what we do sounds like what they used to do in scouting, however, we don't treat the kids like idiots, and lo and behold, they don't act like idiots.

The one requirement of membership in the YAC?
You have to have a pocket knife.

The basic principles of the YAC are:

- doing things is better than just watching things done.
- mixed age groups and genders (just like real life)
- real tools, real adventures, real risks.

So, while factory tours and prefab birdhouse kits might be fun for some, we're out in the woods, in the rain, making a shelter and a real fire. We're exploring a cave, we're floating on the Delaware river in our canoes. We're shooting real .22 rifles, we're doing stuff that our grandparents did when they were kids.

Right now, we're looking for some ideas for INDOOR adventures for the next few weeks, while cold weather survival is interesting and all, I know that I'd rather be indoors for a while.

So, given what you've read, what would you suggest?