//Separate post to avoid hijacking the “Johnson & Johnson Sues the Red Cross” thread//

The above-referenced thread includes a link to the CNN story, which reads in part, “Research has found that only seven percent [emphasis mine] of Americans have taken the necessary steps to be prepared — and that more people would get prepared if preparedness products were more available, including at retail locations.”

Aside from the fact that “seven percent” is deplorable (but predictable?), I’d be interested to know the survey’s definition of “the necessary steps to be prepared.” Having lived in earthquake country for over 20 years, the topic was frequently discussed among co-workers and friends. Often times, it went something like this, “Sure I’m prepared — got a case of water and a couple of granola bars stashed away for the Big One.” I wonder what level of preparedness earned inclusion in that seven percent.

As for the assertion "... more people would get prepared if preparedness products were more available ... " — I personally believe that the reason for the widespread lack of preparedness is not one of availability, as suggested, but rather one of (lack of) motivation. These days, Home Depot, Walmart and the like sell rudimentary kits (better than nothing, and a start), and internet sources are limitless — plenty of availability. Or am I being too cynical?

Dan