The idea has just occurred to me, -while responding to the thread asking whether one would go back to such a place, as present day New Orleans.

Beyond possibly filling her up, - which I think now to be a pretty NON feasable non starter, -it seems (till now) that the only solution is more / bigger / stronger / higher / better floodwalls, dikes, levees, and such. To take a direct Category 5 and above. Maybe so.

But cannot the renewed metro area be built on stilts, -and threaded with canals, -as Venice and many other water level cities are?

Sure, aging Venice has it's problems, -but thats beside the immeadiate point. Venice once worked very well. Much of it I'm sure still does. A "Venice done right" can work eminently well.

And so can a New New Orleans done right. Whether that be via a "Truly Best in levees" approach, "Veniceization", or some combination of both. [color:"black"] [/color] [email]ScottRezaLogan[/email]