Please Help Me Find a Source for Quality Signal Mirrors on a Budget
or
How The Doug Ritter PSK Would Have Saved Me a Hell of a Lot of Money

I had the bright idea that I would give a small Starter Survival Kit to a number of friends for Christmas (Solstice for a few) this year. Well I thought it was a good idea, but by the time I had arrived where I am now I had officially spent a butt load of cash (I lost count at $800 and thought it best not to calculate a real grand total).

Initially I thought I would send a small starter kit that included the following:
  • ”Decent” Folding Knife
  • MagFire
  • Mini Maglite

This probably would have been fine, but I happened across a deal buying a number of 1/2-inch button compasses. I had to buy in a quantity, but I figured if half didn't cut the mustard I could toss those and give the rest of the working ones away to people “just because”. Or, if all of the compasses were junk I could toss the lot without too much pain. On the upside, all but one worked (due to a fairly large bubble I could not get rid of). On the downside, when compared to a decent knife and a mini Maglite, the button compass looks rather cheap in comparison.

I've got issues... I know...

Anyway, at that time my gift list expanded from 6 friends to 8. I also decided such things were important to have and if I said these were "Starter Emergency Kits" I could put together another 4 sets for family members without them feeling the need to do an intervention.

I also have to order more MagFires, but that’s another story...

So I had the following for almost every kit:
  • ”Decent” Folding Knife
  • MagFire
  • Mini Maglite
  • 1/2 inch button compass

This was looking like a good start to me. However, I am an admitted anal retentive or an obsessive compulsive... Something like that... I didn't focus on psychology in college...

I then decided that I would include 20 feet of 550 paracord in each kit.

And hey, why not pack it all in a Swiss Sport Nalgene Lexan Bottle because it'll serve a purpose in a survival situation, will look cool and serve as a way to easily carry the kit without looking like Batman to boot.

But what if they need to actually use the bottle for its intended purpose?

Where will the rest of the kit go then?

So I bought some heavy-duty airtight bags.

Wait… Water... What if the water needs to be purified?

So at that point the kits included the following:

• ”Decent” Folding Knife
  • MagFire
  • Mini Maglite
  • 1/2-inch button compass
  • 20 ft 550 Paracord
  • Nalgene Bottle
  • Heavy-Duty airtight bag
  • Bottle of Potable Aqua

I would like to have gone with MicroPur tabs in each kit, but as you can see, the kit was getting pretty expensive at this point, so I decided to go with Potable Aqua. Potable Aqua and P.A. Plus? No, they can buy Gatorade packets... LOL

Then I decided to look up survival kits on the web, and saw that a few companies offer kits packed in Nalgene Bottles... And I thought I was being original... Most of these kits included a Carabiner to clip the bottle to a belt and for other possibilities. What a great Idea!

Add a Carabiner to the kit list...

And I’ll add a Bic lighter for backup...

Oh, and a survival blanket because I ran across a deal when ordering by the case...

Oooooo look, Lightweight Reusable PVC Ponchos are on sale and I can pick up a couple of cases...

This is never going to fit in the bottle...

To make a long story short so I can get to the point of this post, the list now:

• ”Decent” Folding Knife
  • MagFire
  • Backup Bic Lighter
  • 2-hole Pencil Sharpener for Quick Tinder (Yeah, there’s I know there’s a knife...)
  • Mini Maglite
  • LED Upgrade Kit for the Mini Maglite
  • 1/2-inch Button Compass
  • 20 ft 550 Paracord
  • Classic Fox-40 and Lanyard
  • Nalgene Lexan Bottle
  • Bottle of Potable Aqua
  • Heavy-Duty Airtight Bag
  • Carabiner
  • Survival Blanket (+1 for each of the giftee’s immediate family members)
  • Lightweight Poncho (+1 for each of the giftee’s immediate family members)
  • P-38
  • Mini Fishing Kit
  • Small Bottle for Fishing Kit
  • Snare Kit
  • Safety Pins
  • Heavy-Duty Sewing Kit
  • ”Duck” Tape
  • Various First Aid Items
  • Heavy-Duty Tinfoil (I almost got SS Mugs that neatly fit the bottom of the Bottle)

If I had known where I was going with this I would have gone for the Ritter PSK for everyone, added a Knife and Flashlight and helped ETS as well.

What an incredible opportunity missed.

I feel like an ass.

Lesson Learned I guess...

Anyway, I’ve fully come to terms with the fact that a screwed up big time, and now wish to put the final nail in the coffin (or my wallet as the case may be) by adding the following items to these kits:

• Star Flash Signal Mirror or similar
  • Waterproof Paper

Please, any help finding these items at less than average store prices would be appreciated!

Thanks!