I'd like to take an informal poll of the forum readers' preferences regarding navigation and use of map coordinates.<br><br>I have always used, and personally prefer, the latitude/longitude system even though I have had some experience using the World Geographic Reference (WGR) favored by the military. I have been on several multinational expeditions where everybody understood and used lat/long coordinates. In those experiences nobody expressed interest or preference in using either the WGR or Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM). Nor do any of my current mates use anything but lat/long, even though most could use any system if they had the relevant map at hand.<br><br>I have looked through some of the maps in my collection and found that:<br>MOST have lat/long coordinates.<br>MANY have lat/long plus UTM overlay<br>SOME have lat/long plus WGR overlay<br>SOME have lat/long ONLY<br>FEW (e.g., tourist maps and area maps) have NO coordinate references<br>SOME (American) have lat/long with UTM plus township/range overlay<br>SOME (e.g., Swiss National Landeskarte) use a unique arcane reference system<br><br>Please respond to this thread by stating your personal preference and some additional information regarding your experience, frequency of need to navigate, military, civilian, nautical, general aviation, etc. I will tabulate the data.<br><br>If you wish to debate the relative merits of your preferred system, please start a new thread.<br><br>I will tabulate the data and report the results.<br><br>Thank you for your participation.<br>Dan