This weekend, one week before her wedding, my 27-yr old daughter was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. This diagnosis was precipitated by a seizure and some more information that came out over the course of the ER visit and the hospitalization that followed. She is scheduled for release tomorrow. She will then prepare for the trip to Cancun, Mexico for the wedding next Saturday.

So, where is this leading? Let me tell you. I am a professional cynic who is fluent in sarcasm. What I want to say is that when initially dealing with someone who has just received devastating news, I have this piece of advice - SHUT UP! Nothing gets people more ticked off than to hear the stupid platitudes of "I'm sorry" or "I had an aunt who had her thyroid removed" or other such nonsense. The best thing to do is shut up and stand beside them in silent strength. Hug them. Sit with them. Take a walk with them. Do not offer anything unless you are ready to follow through. A lot of this comes from my life experiences over the years and I am somewhat jaded by the platitudinous shallowness. I know these situations are new to many and uncomfortable for all. But, you cannot do any better than being a pillar of strength, warmth, and love.

MoBOB a.k.a. GRUMPY