Hi folks.

While I'm not as active a poster as I once was, I wanted to thank you all for the great deal that I learned over the years which has come in handy over the past week.

I am a first responder on a barrier island off the Atlantic Coast of Long Island. As you might imagine, the damage around here is mind boggling. Water in my village was waist to chest deep at high tide last Monday evening, as the ocean and bay met in many areas.

I had evacuated my family ahead of time, and my home, being on an elevated lot, was dry. Many people not far from me lost everything.

While I have been well cared for, it was nice to know that had the system broken down (and it came close in the early days of the recovery) I had everything I needed to survive in relative comfort in my home.

Now that I have a generator working, I'm going to start putting together a blog post on my experiences, including photos. I also want to put out a big thanks to the USAR, DMAT, NIMS, military personell, and fire and police departments, and utility workers from all over the country who are here helping us with our recovery. It wouldn't even suprise me if some forum members are here now to help.