I have limited and ancient rifle shooting experience. Today I visited an indoor range to zero-in my new scoped pellet rifle. From limited shooting into a pellet trap target in the woods, the gun seemed to be shooting left and low.

Watching a highly accomplished shooter-gunsmith deal with the pellet gun was enlightening. First, the no-nonsense appraisal of the gun detected slippage in the scope mount, probably from inadequately tightened mounting rings.

Second, while preparing to correct the slippage, the scope and mounting rings actually separated from the rail [addressing my embaressment, he said I see this all the time and also get guys bringing in their scopes wondering why it fell off in the field]! Apparently this brand is notorious for a difficult to seat set screw.

Third, once everything seemed tight the recommended pellets, a premium pellet, and the rangemaster's favorite pellet, all shot left and without good grouping, raising the possibility that prior shooting with a loose scope may have damaged it [not my day].

Fourth, by switching to a cheaper pellet the groups suddenly became tighter and predictable! Watching several shots go into almost the same hole is impressive.

Even I shot some decent groups and was able to understand what was happening enough to "walk" a series of shot's into the bullseye area and place a decent group there [2 1/2 inch target at 10 yards, bullseye 3/4".]

Much more work and practice to be done, of course, but wanted to share another example of giving a gun the ammo it wants to shoot.