OK, so a while ago I found some rust in a door well of my truck. I've never done this before, but I've painted non-car metal, so I did some homework. No big deal, need a couple of days without rain.

Today is the day!

Wire brush, sandpaper, a little navel jelly (with lots of water and baking soda to cancel it). A little can of primer (don't have the space to spray in my parking lot) and some brushes, for once I'm down to the metal. I was going to get it primed, then get top coat (car part store about half mile away, I was going to prime and walk over).

Dang this stuff thicker than I think. Then... poik! I'm through the metal. I swear a lot. This is why more than I was thinking of, and I'm wondering if this hasn't happened before. What I was thinking was rust might be some kind of putty.

OK, so now what?

My limits- I have not a lot of time, because I only have a week of decent weather. Fortunately, this spot drains well. *glower* I have no garage space. Am I in rust, or bondo-ish stuff here?

Advise? Please? I was thinking this was water that got under the paint through a scratch and now... I'm finding rust under the gasket, I noticed that.

Edited by ironraven (07/31/10 05:18 PM)

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.