First a little history: I received a PST when I was 10 or 12, then at some point lost it (which pains me to this day), not long after I started carrying a side clip (surprisingly similar to the CX) but the lack of a locking blade made me nervous, I have an original Wave that still sees use when I can justify the sheath (hunting, skiing, sailing), and a I have a Juice CS4 (the blue one with a corkscrew) that also sees use if I expect to open wine away from home, but this also lacks a locking blade.

About two years ago I bought my father a CX for his birthday, he loved it, his first Leatherman, I also liked it but I couldn’t justify the expense considering the number of multitools I already had. Generally I would carry some kind of folder (Spyderco Atlantic Salt or a bench made griptillion) in my right front pocket and the CS4 in my back left pocket. Not a bad setup.

I received the CX for Christmas from my girlfriend in 2009, in short, we were discussing it yesterday and we’re both afraid she’ll never be able to top it as a gift.

When I first received it, I was awkward. I didn’t know what to do. The CX lacked a lot of things I like such as a can opener, and a file, plus I was hesitant to replace a folder which is likely stronger and has a bigger blade. As a result I’d often carry a folder and the CX, etc. I’ve changed my procedures since. I always carry the CX. I’ve been in tight spots and so far it has gotten me out. If I’m going duck hunting, skiing, sailing, fishing, etc, I’ll supplement with a folder tucked into my waist band and/or the Wave in a sheath on my belt. That said, the Skeletool is carried and used every day and is always up to the task.

Take this past weekend as an example: Saturday it saw heavy use opening beers on the beach. Saturday evening I used it to cut rope to splice together a new mooring buoy tether, and Sunday afternoon it allowed me to close a broken casement window. I can’t even tell you how many other things it cut over the weekend. It has been used like this for roughly 18 months and besides a sharpening now and again has required no maintenance and shows no signs of damage. I have managed to rub a lot of the black anodizing off just from daily carry.

Bottom line – I’m not saying it is a full replacement for a Wave and a folder (or a fixed blade for that matter) but I now know it is sufficient for my regular daily use. It may have down sides, it lacks many tools, but I find what it has extremely useful, sure a S30V blade would be superior, all this aside, I highly recommend the Skeletool CX.