Hi all,

Over Christmas I had the pleasure of spending time with a long term family friend; my sidlings and I call her our "Grandmother By Choice" as that is how important she has been in our lives.

Completely unexpectedly she presented each of us with a very thoughtful gift to buy "something you have always wanted".

After discussion with my wife we decide to have a gas fireplace installed in our living room as a centrepiece to the decor and act as a secondary heat source, this will use the majority of the gift.

Since I have known my "adopted grandmother" all my life I would also like to purchase a functional item so that every time I use it I can think of her.

Here are my thoughts; it needs to be a useful, durable item that is well designed and classy, something that will not be out-of-date in a few years like electronics/optics/lights would be.

My first thought was a custom-made bushcraft knife, but the trouble with it is that I will only use it a few times a year and already have a custom knife my hunting partmer gave me 25 years ago.

My current thought is a new EDC folding knife? Does a Ritter RSK MK1 fit the perimeters of what I am looking for; I am counting on forum members for input as I have never handled or seen this knife in person (although I have read lots of reviews)?

This folding knife would be carried daily in urban, rural and remote settings clipped in my front left pants pocket; is the RSK MK1 too large for this, would the thinner, shorter mini RSK be a better choice?

So please reply and assist me in this pleasant decision; is a new EDC knife (RSK MK1 or other) an appropriate item to buy or would something else be more fitting?

Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays,

Mike