So, I was butchering a deer today, and I've got what's probobly the worlds simplest butchering setup.

1. An OLD (I mean OLD) knife that was my grandfather's from his butcher shop. It's a 5" knife - I don't know the brand, all I know is my father got it from his father, and my dad gave it to me. It's getting to the point where it looks more like a boning knife than anything.

2. A utility knife. Yeah, really. The blades are always nice and sharp and I use them for all kinds of cutting.

3. A Big old bone saw - also from my grandfather's shop, this one is a "Hook Eye" brand.

4. A meat cleaver (from...you guessed it! My grandfather's butcher shop)

What I need is to replace the 5" knife and get a decent boning knife. I want something that will take an edge as fine as those utility knives, but won't make me broke.

Despite the fact that I've been cutting meat since I was 6, I know nothing about brands of professional butchering knives. I just used what my grandfather gave me, and that was it. The information I can find online is overwhelming. I'd trust some advice from this group. I want only 1 knife that will last the 50 years the knife I have has lasted. I want it to TAKE and KEEP a SHARP SHARP SHARP edge.