I have been a Marine for almost 8 years and I have seen my fair share of Military gear come and go. We have changed everything from our uniforms (good idea) to our personal equipment (bad idea). I see so many people post on this site and others about how they want “milspec this” or “milspec that” and I wonder, why? I have not been impressed with much military gear until very recently. Very recently the Marines have purchased cold weather gear that is worth its weight, which by the way is light. But I am still not too impressed with most Mil Spec gear when I compare it to off the shelf civilian gear with regards to durability, comfort, etc. Now I know, some of you are saying, well it’s made by the lowest bidder, and I know that. Why then, is there such an interest in military surplus when it is so over priced on the civilian market? For a few dollars more, you can get something made by a company that specializes in outdoor equipment.

There are a few pieces of military gear that I like, namely 550 cord, signal mirrors, 100 mph tape, our sleeping bag, GORTEX rain gear, and my howitzers (which I cannot take home.) But for the most part, most of it, if it is not a weapon or some sort of NBC gear, it is not worth it.

I know lots of Marines that augment or replace their issue gear with civilian stuff, and I am one of them. I just don’t know why there are so many people who want it.

I am not trying to be a dissenter from the ranks, but I think that some of my fellow service members would agree. There have been light speed improvements as of late, but those won’t hit the civilian market for a few years. I would be very interested to hear what my fellow service members have to say about this.

Garrett