I just finished reading Jon Krakauer's Book "Into Thin Air" about the tragedy that struck the commercial expeditions of Rob Hall and Scott Fischer in 1996on Mt. Everest. 12 people from these groups died as the result of a storm that was not really an unusual event. My question is why? <br><br> Do we have some Mountain climber's here that can explain this to me? I used to do mild climbs because they were fun and great exercise (strenuous hikes using pitons really). It was clear in this book that NO ONE has fun climbing Everest or anywhere if you are above 25,000 feet( the death zone). It is simply a matter of if you can endure the horrendous pain that you are voluntarily subjecting yourself to and if your body can endure the severe insult you are inflicting upon it. <br><br>In such a climb, If everything goes PERFECTLY, you return from an 8 week period of hell in a state of total and complete exhaustion and dehydration. If at the top altitudes on such a climb you get in trouble there is no hope of rescue. No heliocopters( at that altitude of course) and no one is going to be able to carry you out because it is all they can do at that altitude and under those conditions to get themselves down the mountain(even using supplementary oxygen). In fact, when someone dies near the summit, the body is left there because there is no way to evacuate it. It is apparently not uncommon for climbers to simply pass by the dead (and dying!!!!!) bodies of climbers who preceeded them on their way (and in their ardor) to reach the summit without undertaking any action to attempt a rescue. If someone acted with such disregard for others (and themselves) after crash landing a plane at 25,000 feet, such behavior would be violently condemned.<br>When I think of the lives that could be saved if these climbers used their skills and expertise in rescue efforts, it seems almost obscene to see these people voluntarily and intentionally subject themselves to certain and extreme pain, probable injury and possible death to no one's benefit. It would be wonderful and courageous to attempt such a climb to rescue a downed pilot at 29,000. It seems foolhardy and selfish to go there otherwise. If someone subjected themselves to such self-abuse at sea level they would certainly be considered mentally incompetent. <br>Having just finished the book, I guess I am a little angry that men and women, all having loved ones-- some with young families, died (basically killed themselves ) to prove something. WHAT? <br>I do not mean to disparage anyone here who engages in this extreme conduct, but I certainly do not understand it. If you do understand it, please share that with me. <br><br>Robb