Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#299287 - 07/06/21 11:25 PM "Plasma" Lighters.
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I have been messing about with one of the so called Plasma electric lighters. Interesting device. This one has 4 posts arranged in a 1/4" square. When lit and viewed from above, an arc is formed between the opposite diagonals forming an X.

The arc generates very little heat. I can put my finger about 1/2" above it and feel very slight heat if I hold it there long enough. Afterwards I can detect that it did burn my finger, but so very slightly and it was a funny burn. Like only the very top layer was damaged.

This means that the fuel (solid fuel) must come in contact with the arc to light the fuel. Of course gasses like propane ignite when the gas intercepts the arc.

A very unscientific study of various burnable things make me believe that the arc is very intense. Every burnable item I tried ignited immediately.

However it was just about impossible to light the contents of a pipe unless the arc was in contact with the fuel. It would not fit in the smallest of pipes, making it useless as a direct ignition source. Of course one could ignite something else and use it as a secondary ignition source.

It charges with a micro USB. Have only charged it a few times and never have fully discharged it. Seems to run for a long time.

I don't remember where I purchased it so no link. But Amazon has many to choose from.

I don't carry it EDC because my primary use of a lighter is for melting cordage or heating heat shrink tubing. This lighter will do neither very well.

But it works. Every time I push the button it lights. I wet it, dry it off and it works. This model has a waterproof case and can be fully submerged when locked closed.

I don't think it really generates a plasma arc.... or does it? Anybody else mess with one of these?

#299288 - 07/07/21 01:08 AM Re: "Plasma" Lighters. [Re: Nomad]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I don't have one but now I'm intrigued! cool

#299289 - 07/07/21 03:10 AM Re: "Plasma" Lighters. [Re: Nomad]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have one which corresponds to your description. it works pretty well. Also includes a small flashlight which could be useful (It is hard to have too many light sources).

It fits with my strategy of carrying a bunch of electrons which can be shunted to my phone, various lights, etc, all of which can be recharged from a small solar panel or other source.

According to its user manual, it is good for forty or more lights before the battery needs recharging, assuming no use of the light.

Seems like a fairly useful gadget

#299290 - 07/07/21 11:47 AM Re: "Plasma" Lighters. [Re: hikermor]
NAro Offline
Addict

I have one too. For a cigar or pipe smoker like me, the one I have is pretty useless. I considered it for fire starting in the woods, but it failed "stress testing." Mine (I don't know about yours) is extremely sensitive to any bump that puts one post of the arc out of line, and it fails to arc if there is any debris (even ash) whatsoever in the gap.
For my kits I'll stick to a few Bic's and my Zippo (Zippo, with air tight fuel canister). The Bic's don't like significant elevation or cold. The Zippo burns anything, anywhere, but does not retain fuel over time (thus the canister). But I'm saving my plasma lighter to amaze the kids!

#299291 - 07/07/21 04:38 PM Re: "Plasma" Lighters. [Re: NAro]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
When you get right down to it, kitchen matches may be thee most reliable. All of the really critical fires I have had to light in the past used matches successfully. Today's matches seem to be subpar, but the premium brands work well. I always carry about three alternative methods for starting a fire.

#299292 - 07/07/21 06:42 PM Re: "Plasma" Lighters. [Re: Nomad]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I'm still a believer in the "Can't Blow 'em Out! trick birthday candles". You get one lit by some means (using your body to block wind, holding the candle and match parallel with the wick right next to the match head as you strike it, etc.) then you're good to go. Howling winds near the fire you're trying to start? Those candles laugh at wind (quite literally - that's their whole point!)

#299294 - 07/08/21 11:19 AM Re: "Plasma" Lighters. [Re: haertig]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
You may want to check that for the type of candle you have. Technically they are reigniting with the help of magnesium shavings. There is a telltale sparkling from this. Some need to burn a while before the can reignite and some do not have the magnesium all the way down the wick.
An emergency might be a less than ideal occassion to find that yours do not work as expected.

#299295 - 07/08/21 01:29 PM Re: "Plasma" Lighters. [Re: hikermor]
NAro Offline
Addict

Agreed, Hikermor:
And once I actually learned how to strike lifeboat matched they became my absolute basic component to fire starting.

#299296 - 07/08/21 05:05 PM Re: "Plasma" Lighters. [Re: M_a_x]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: M_a_x
...and some do not have the magnesium all the way down the wick...

Thanks for that tip. I will have to cut one down to a stub and see if it still relights.

I have tested the ones I bought (nothing special - I found them in the grocery store) and they relight quickly after initially being lit. So that's not an issue. But I did not think to test the tail end of the things to see if the very end of the candles support the re-light function.

These candles are just one tool in my firestarting kit. I have all the standards - matches, BIC lighter, ferro rod, vasoline cotton, commercial fire starters, magnifying glass, etc. Other than testing, I have only used one of those birthday candles once - there was a light wind, certainly not gale force, but the candle worked fine. I think it blew out and relighted once, which was all I needed. I have never gotten around to testing how these candles might work after getting dunked in water. My plan was to just slice off the wet end and get some new wick from under the remaining wax. That may not be the best plan if as you say, the magnesium does not go all the way down. I will have to do some testing. Thanks!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (wileycoyote), 543 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.