Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#278285 - 12/29/15 04:20 PM sleeping bag options for backpacking?
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Hello everyone,

Hope everyone had or is having a good holiday. I have another gear question for the ETS collective. It may also prove relevant to BPJ's recent thread on prepping for the Pacific Coast Trail. I didn't want to hi-jack her thread so figured I'd start a new one.

Specifically, I am looking for a compact sleeping bag option. What I have in mind is a bag rated for cold temps in the 0 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit range (I am generally cold-blooded so in this respect the warmer the better lol) that will pack down to a reasonably compact size so as not to take up too much space in my backpack. We have a potentially cold weather camp out coming up January 8th, as well as a 25 mile backpacking trip coming up in April. I need this bag to be useful in cold temps, as well as in warmer temps if possible (in my mind, a cold weather bag can be used in warmer weather by venting and not using the mummy feature as I have done this in the past with our current Coleman cold weather mummy bags).

Currently I am considering these two options. One is the Snugpak Travelpak 4. Another option I am considering is this one currently on woot, the Beaume -25 mummy bag.

Standard disclaimers apply, I have no affiliations with any of the companies above other than asa relatively happy customer.

Now, I am familiar with the Snugpak brand and have heard and read lots of good things about them so I am leaning more towards that option. The Beaume bag is tempting because of it's lower temp rating but I'm not familiar with the brand. Also I'm not sure it packs down as small (9 x 9 x15 for the Beaume vs 11 x 10 for the Snugpak).

I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts and recommendations here. All input is welcome, whether I am missing the boat on anything, other recommendations and so forth.

As always thanks in advance.

Edited by Mark_F (12/30/15 08:58 PM)

#278288 - 12/29/15 04:49 PM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: Mark_F]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If you want compact and warm, you want a decent down bag. Marmot, Kelty, and REI are good sources, but they are not the only options.

"Light, warm, cheap" - choose two out of three

#278290 - 12/29/15 04:54 PM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor

Well said. If you do not mind heavier, Wiggy's makes good bags that will keep you warm even when wet.

#278293 - 12/29/15 05:44 PM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: Mark_F]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

What are your priorities?

First pick an insulating material:

Down (quality down)
- Best warm/weight/size ratio
- Useless when wet (However newer upmarket ones have water resistant down)
- When stored properly it will last a very long time.

Synthetic:
- Less expensive
- Not as useless in the wet
- Doesn’t last as long

Second, choose size/cut:

- Mummy style are lighter and smaller to pack. If size and weight is a big priority, choose one with the narrowest and shortest you can comfortably lie in.
- Rectangular can be more comfortable.

Third, choose shell material:

- Light is generally less durable
- Water-resistant/waterproof shell materials are available, at a price. Both money and size/weight wise.

Personally I like the size/weight ratio of downbags and there great durability. Currently still using one from 1992, some cold spots have developt. Still need to think if I want to refill those pockets or get a new bag.

The Beaume and snugpak you linked to. Could not find what the -25 rating is. Comfort or extreme and tested to which standard. Might be the convertion between fahrenheit and celcius, but the snugpak look like a much less warm bag then the Beaume. (a quality down bag would weight about half, but 3x as expensive)

#278295 - 12/29/15 06:41 PM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great thread, Mark! Thanks!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#278297 - 12/29/15 06:46 PM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: Mark_F]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Beaume -25 Degree Oversized Mummy Sleeping Bag

Is that -25F or 25F?

A medium quality synthetic Mummy bag weighing in at 2.1Kg will have a comfort rating of -4C (25F) rather than -32C (-25F)

I recently purchased a PHDesign Mimum 500 sleeping bag rated at -10C comfort (EN 13537 standard) using certified 900 Down and MX water resist outer fabric, which I got on sale just before Christmas saving aroung $150 off the retail price. A very warm Sub Kg Winter bag. It wasn't as compact as I hoped for due to the extreme fluffiness getting it into an Event Stuff sack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_13537

The Snugpak rating of comfort -7C for the Travelpak 4 will also be to the EN 13537.
http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/travelpak-4

The Military spec Softie 10 bag will be better than the Travelpak-4. Its the Milspec Softie range of bags that Snugpak has built its reputation on.

http://www.snugpak.com/military/military-sleeping-bags/softie-10-harrier-sleeping-bag

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/29/15 06:55 PM)

#278299 - 12/29/15 09:18 PM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: Mark_F]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Remove the 'compact' requirement by bunjeeing the bag to the top of your sac (and the mat to the side). I'v a sac with no top straps, or attachement points. But bunjees can reach over the top to hook on the straps.

qjs

#278300 - 12/29/15 09:40 PM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Montanero
Originally Posted By: hikermor

Well said. If you do not mind heavier, Wiggy's makes good bags that will keep you warm even when wet.

+1. A Wiggy's bag will be slightly heavier but you will sleep warm no matter what.

#278301 - 12/29/15 11:27 PM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: Mark_F]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Worked at a school where we used sleeping bags by the hundreds. They were used 3 weeks at a time then laundered. All synthetic 20 Degree bags.

Most were earlier versions of:
Kelty, Wiggy's, Slumberjack, a few NorthFace.

They all performed the same warmth wise. And they all were toast after a couple of seasons and then good only for warm weather.

I use a 3 season down bag and add a synthetic over bag or half bag with jacket for consistent below freezing temps. The down bags last for decades.

One sure killer of synthetic bags - drying with high heat. You can measure the shrinkage in length and loft after one hot dryer run. Best to air dry, maybe tumble low heat or without heat a few minutes before storage.

Edited by clearwater (12/29/15 11:44 PM)

#278305 - 12/30/15 12:54 AM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

look at treated down and use liners for cooler nights - send em home as things warm up

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.