Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#276280 - 08/20/15 02:53 AM Security using public wifi?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I've been on this digital security kick. I did the basic stuff before, but now I'm encrypting my harddrive, using cloud back up in addition to backing up at home. I also started wondering about using public wifi. How secure is that?

Right now my security measure basically involves avoiding doing anything sensitive while using public wifi (banking, etc.), and making sure the URL had an https whenever I need to send a password. But I remain queasy, partly because the technical knowledge is beyond me. What do you do to stay secure while using public wifi?

#276281 - 08/20/15 03:29 AM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
There are two issues associated with using an insecure wireless network.

The first is transmitting sensitive data. Don't do that without encryption. Don't accept certificate warnings from HTTPS websites without really knowing what you're doing.

The second risk specific to insecure wireless networks is that your computer might be compromised by an attacker connected to the same network. Keep your updates current for your operating system, browser, office software suite, and whatever else you're using. Use a host firewall; the firewall built in to Windows is quite good as long as you keep it turned on and don't configure exceptions.

While the utility of signature-based antivirus is limited, use one and keep it up to date. Some of the free ones (Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG and others) are quite good. Additionally, I strongly urge that you completely remove all forms of Java and Flash from your computer, which may mean not using some websites. These risks aren't specific to insecure wireless networks but are both common and serious.

#276282 - 08/20/15 05:03 AM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I only use public wifi when I'm on my Galaxy Tablet. I keep no personal data on it, I never log onto a site that has my payment/financial information and I don't use it for banking or e-commerce. Just web surfing.

#276284 - 08/20/15 09:15 AM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Phaedrus]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I am high-tech challenged
OK, I am near illiterate when it comes to computerized stuff

The other day, I put my Galaxy Tab near the laptop and was surfing and working on the laptop. When I shut off the laptop and grabbed the Galaxy , it had several notifications ( like some Apps have been updated, a screen shot had been taken earlier ..etc. ) Among those notification I was perplexed to see ( Remote PC ...)notification, and I started wondering if the Galaxy did communicate with the laptop, and what did "they say to each other" !!

Still wondering, and hope our high-tech gurus help.

#276285 - 08/20/15 11:51 AM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Would setting up and using a VPN (Virtual Private Network)increase security when using "public" wi-fi networks, like in airport lounges or when using local ISP's when traveling overseas (e.g. using a local sim card in my phone to get internet)

I just got back from an extended trip in Eastern Europe, and these security issues were a bit of concern. I know nothing about VPNs other than they exist and that they claim to 1) increase security and 2) get by internet blocking (e.g. would have let me watch Netflix while sitting in an airport lounge for 6 hours)

#276286 - 08/20/15 12:35 PM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Still wondering, and hope our high-tech gurus help.

I've never had anything running the Android OS. I understand that Remote PC is an Android app that allows for remote access of devices. Do you use such a thing? Was it included with your device? If the answer to both of those questions is "no," I would in your shoes be concerned that your tablet was compromised.

#276292 - 08/20/15 06:38 PM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
There is no security on the network. If you get on the internet, there is no protection. Encryption can be defeated, so whatever is on your hard drive can be read by others.

Work under the assumption that if you are going to be on the internet, whatever you do is unsecured, and whatever is on the machine you are accessing the internet with is unsecured. The only thing that is keeping your information and activities from being compromised is that you are a little fish, and not worth the effort for the moment, but that could change at any time.

Consider it a fact that someone(s) have already hacked your machines, looked to see if you have anything they are interested in, and probably moved on due to lack of interest. They have a list of all your passwords and should any of them ever want to get back into your system they can at will. The most likely hackers: government agencies.

Work under that premise, and you know where you stand.

There is no "secure" on the internet, regardless of what connection you are using.

#276296 - 08/20/15 07:26 PM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

I don't entirely agree with benjammin. I bank, shop and do my taxes via the Internet. As a home (not corporate or government) user, if you take reasonable steps to keep yourself secure your chances of suffering from a compromise can be significantly reduced.

However, if you are targeted by an advanced attacker, they're very likely to succeed.

With every risk you can choose to mitigate it, accept it, or insure against it. I've chosen to mitigate my risks significantly, and I also bought an identity theft rider with my homeowner's insurance.

Edited by chaosmagnet (08/20/15 07:27 PM)

#276302 - 08/20/15 10:47 PM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
There are a lot of "hacker" kids which may just try and succeed hacking any size of fish floating nearby just by an accident. So, obvious security measures, mentioned by chaosmagnet, should not be ignored, as well as a basic security threats and practices knowledge (i.e. change your password often, cover the keyboard typing the pass in public).

For the free (such as "cafeteria") wifi - I wouldn't be too concerned. It's usually too weak to efficiently brute force and download something significant, randomly searching strangers, or to deploy a targeted attack. Just not enough time for the given bandwidth. The typical hack of such a WiFi hotspot would be to fake their proxy server. But google browser will immediately tell you about that (not so sure about stock IE, though), just don't be ignorant to messages on the screen.

VPN is definitely beneficial to reduce your communications exposure, unfortunately it's quite complex solution for a newbie and have serious impact on performance of internet device.

Chisel, "Remote PC" Android notification might stand for the PC being discovered over BT or NFC (as a potential data exchange device), not necessarily as an act of unauthorized remote access.

#276304 - 08/21/15 02:29 AM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Uninstall KB3035583 on your Windows PC to remove the Microsoft Spyware installer gwx.exe. Never use Public Wifi either. Never use Facebook or any other social media that can track your online behaviors. Encrypt your email. Enigmail plugin on Thunderbird works quite well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 551 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
47 minutes 17 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.