The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#276715 - 09/20/15 10:50 PM The Martian - Surviving on Mars
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
The Martian - Trailer

I haven't seen a lot of posts regarding Hollywood movies, usually because they are wrong in big ways. This movie may be the same way, but the information I can find says that NASA scientists worked with the writers and NASA authorized the use of their logo in the movie. There is a small clip of extending the food supply from 30 days to 4 years in the trailer, and not having read the book, looks to be a lot of basic survival stuff.

Posting under 'Around The Campfire' because I don't have enough information to comment on the preparedness/survival aspect. Mods may move this thread if it fits in with the the other forums.

As far as I know, I'm not affiliated with anyone that was involved in the making of this movie. I like watching disaster movies to see how close they get.

The movie is released in the U.S. on October 2nd, 2015. The ISS Astronauts have already seen it.

#276724 - 09/21/15 12:15 AM Re: The Martian - Surviving on Mars [Re: ki4buc]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A review from the ISS would doubtless be highly informed. I would love to have their opinion.

#276725 - 09/21/15 01:06 AM Re: The Martian - Surviving on Mars [Re: ki4buc]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Loved the book!

Will see the movie, but fear I will be disappointed.

I think the key survival message in the book is that the principle of STOP (Sit, Think, Observe, Plan) was as necessary and critical part of the Astronaut's survival on Mars as it is on Earth.

There was something he could have and probably should have done, that he did not do, and that would work on Mars as well as Earth. I thought it was a fairly obvious thing to do a day or two or so after he realized he was trapped. . .

SPOILER ALERT

There was wreckage from the decent vehicle and other stuff around: he could have made a large "SOS" with it and/or rocks etc. that could have been seen by one or more of the satellites in orbit over Mars(or by a plane if on Earth). There were several satellites in orbit and they played a big part in the story later on. Instead, it was a lucky accident how NASA found out he was still alive. . . . As it turned out, no one was actually looking, but he could not have known that. This was the only thing I saw that he missed.

#276726 - 09/21/15 01:51 AM Re: The Martian - Surviving on Mars [Re: bws48]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I'm currently reading this book. Just started it yesterday - I'm only up to the start of chapter 3. Looks like it's going to be a good read. Recommended to me by a friend who said he ended up staying up late into the night, couldn't put it down, and blasted through it in three days. I'm not going to be that fast, but I'm enjoying it so far.

#276730 - 09/21/15 06:17 PM Re: The Martian - Surviving on Mars [Re: ki4buc]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Yep, I'm about 1/2 way through the book, and have to finish it before the movie comes out. I can't wait to see it. Seems like everything Damon has been in lately has been a slam dunk.

#276762 - 09/22/15 10:16 PM Re: The Martian - Surviving on Mars [Re: ki4buc]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have not read the book but I'll be seeing the movie for sure!

#276799 - 09/25/15 09:35 PM Re: The Martian - Surviving on Mars [Re: Phaedrus]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I read the book in a single setting about a month ago, and been through it twice more since. Very well written. The movie will have a hard time competing.

In the afterward, the author mentions that at first he was afraid the book would be too boring, and he'd have to engineer a few 'natural' disasters to keep it interesting. As the book unfolded however, he realized that all too often the solution to one problem creates the next problem. This allows the story to flow in a pretty believable manner.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 388 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.