Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#276238 - 08/17/15 04:34 AM Pre-made tool kit or build your own?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

As I looked at my cheap tool kit that I picked up from a big box store years ago, I cannot help but feel it wasn't a good one. It got me through many basic tasks, but about 1/3 turned out to be useless because of the quality. The rubber on the screwdriver handle started to strip as soon as I started using it. Now it's smooth and clean. So I started thinking I need a new tool kit.

But wait, why a tool kit at all? Why not build my own? What's your philosophy on this?

#276239 - 08/17/15 07:06 AM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: Bingley]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

With tools (and most things in life) you get what you pay for. So bad quality issues, is by buying quality/professional brands.

It also depends on how you use them. If you like to DIY and lot, you might need a more extensive tools and higher quality tools. Good quality tools will generally last for decades if not a life time (unless abused), a few exceptions do apply. So see them as investment for the future. Good tools are also less likely to strip bolt and such, saving you time and money.

A kit is a good way to buying a large assortment of tools for a lower price than buying them separately. However you never get everything you need, it's always an assortment of the most common one. Fine for most jobs, until you find a job which requires just a size larger or smaller then that came with you kit. Those nice boxes with little shapes in them for each tool never have spare space for more tools and the those boxes are something not to care for. Buy a separate quality toolbox, I bought a cheap one and the closure would occasionally pop open while carrying and dropping my tools everywhere.

A other way to collect a good assortment of tools Is by buying kits of separate type of tools. They provide you with a wide range of sizes. So for example:
- A kit with ¼ ratchet, sockets, extensions, etc.
- A kit with 3/8 ratchet, sockets, extensions, etc.
- A pack of screw drivers
- Pack of wrenches
- Pack of allen keys
Etc.

Wait for good deals and shop around.

#276240 - 08/17/15 07:24 AM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: Bingley]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Bingley
As I looked at my cheap tool kit that I picked up from a big box store years ago, I cannot help but feel it wasn't a good one. It got me through many basic tasks, but about 1/3 turned out to be useless because of the quality. The rubber on the screwdriver handle started to strip as soon as I started using it. Now it's smooth and clean. So I started thinking I need a new tool kit.

But wait, why a tool kit at all? Why not build my own? What's your philosophy on this?

What is a tool kit?

Hmm, screwdriver with rubber, it is still fluted right?

ok, my current toolkit, all dollar store stuff,
2 gallon mop bucket (container)
sharpening stone (dollar tree , great deal)
tape measure
hammer
hex key
plastic level/ruler
12" saw
~5" wrench
~8" slip joint pliers
precision screwdriver set
2 piece screwdriver set
pruning shears / craft scissors

I mostly frequently use tape measure, less frequently sharpening stone, even less frequently screwdriver , hex key, wrench ....
actually I use the bucket almost as much as tape measure for washing windows...

the furniture usually comes with hex key , but a backup is nice smile the black hex keys are light duty, the shiny/stainless hex keys are great ... bicycle brake adjustment? folding knife adjustment?

precision screwdriver to take small covers off and change some batteries, clean dust...

the bigger screwdrivers for curtains or vacuum or window fan... odd drywall screw

the wrench/pliers for bicycle assembly, remove car battery .... MAYBE water hose connectors

the pruning shears for cutting stiff plastic ... maybe in the garden

so toolkit? I, um, what does it do?

#276241 - 08/17/15 01:00 PM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: Bingley]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
when I was younger, drag racing was my hobby, and I bought pretty good basic tools by Proto, Snap On and Craftsman and they have served me well for 40 or so years... when I got into the shooting sports, I needed to upgrade my screwdrivers to precision bits as to not mar screw slots, and that was a well spent addition...today, though, for general additions like metric hex head sockets for the bicycle, I generally go to the off shore stores like Harbor Freight.... after the 2004 hurricane season, and installing plywood on 23 windows, I did invest in a good 18v Ridgid portable drill... YMMV

#276242 - 08/17/15 01:45 PM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Buy what you need, when you need it. Typically a major project will require a major tool purchase - just the cost of doing business.

I agree about quality tools. I am using tools handed down from my grandfather....

#276243 - 08/17/15 03:39 PM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I have a tool bag from Harbor Freight Tools. In it I have individual tools I had bought when I needed that specific tool. In one situation I bought tools specific to the jobs I knew how to do on the vehicle I had at that time.

In the tool bag I have the following:
  • A Phillips screwdriver, made by Great Neck, bought at a hardware store to fix a headlight. I had often used that screwdriver to work on computers.
  • Three open and box combination wrenches, sizes 1/2, 9/16 and 11/16, made by Duralast, a ratchet made by GreatNeck, a 1/2 deep socket made by Great Neck, a ratchet extension made by unknown and a dial type tire pressure gauge made by slime, all bought at Auto Zone at different times for my car.
  • A 16' measuring tape, made by Stanley, bought at a hardware store to measure my bedroom windows when I had drapes custom made.
  • One pair of leather work gloves, size small, made by unknown, given to me when I was doing volunteer work.
  • One open wrench, sizes 7/16 and 3/8, made by Duralast, bought at I can't remember, to disassemble and reassemble Dad's drawing table that I use as a computer desk.

Jeanette Isabelle

#276244 - 08/17/15 03:44 PM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Let me add that by buying a tool when needed, each tool tells a story.

Jeanette Isabelle

#276245 - 08/17/15 06:12 PM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Remember that all you really need is a Wave (or pricier equivalent) with a bit kit and extension; maybe a small adjustable wrench.....

#276246 - 08/17/15 10:45 PM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: Bingley]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I'll add to what others are saying by suggesting that you get a voltage detector wand. It could save your life. A basic digital multimeter is also useful. Sometimes the DMM and wand are sold as a package deal.

Edited by MoBOB (08/17/15 10:46 PM)

#276247 - 08/17/15 11:55 PM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: Bingley]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
For my mobile tool set I took a relatively cheap IT tools set once, organized in the large book sized faux leather case by various loops. Then had it gradually improved to my tasks, adding other or better tools, modifying them, making sure some could mate with each other, fit with other tools in the case, and removing less used, redundant, lower quality, or lesser versatility tools. So the answer is - build your own anyway. Just find a way to organize it well.

The LM Wave + bits kit is my EDC, however for a serious field work you will often want something a bit more effective. E.g. my 12 years old Black Decker VersaPak screwdriver is still kicking and comes with more than a 100 hex bits collection (60 of them are special security screw bits), my mighty pliers are 10" long, 3 full size hack saw blades with a handle, and so on - all fits in that relatively small field kit.

The separate automotive kit is always in the car (all metric) - also self assembled over the years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 555 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.