Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#275100 - 05/11/15 09:27 PM Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
2nd Amendment advocates push to repeal switchblade, other knife laws

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/...aled-in-states/

Once overshadowed by the hot-button gun rights debate, laws restricting knife sales and possession are the new "second front" in the battle to preserve Second Amendment rights.

The issue has gained more attention in recent years -- most recently in Baltimore, where obscure knife laws have surfaced at the center of the Freddie Gray death case. Well before that case, though, the nonprofit advocacy group Knife Rights has been steadily working in state capitals across the country to roll back or repeal longstanding knife bans and restrictions.

And they've seen a string of successes.

“We’ve introduced the Second Amendment to a significant number of people who never considered it their amendment,” said Doug Ritter, who founded Knife Rights in Arizona in 2009.

The group argues that possessing and carrying any kind of blade is, as with guns, a right enshrined in the Constitution. They've deployed that argument to, so far, help 10 states wipe most -- if not all -- knife restrictions from the books. It also has successfully advocated for so-called preemption laws in eight states, blocking local jurisdictions from circumventing state law with their own, stricter regulations.

Not all repeals are the same -- some leave laws against switchblades like stilettos on the books. But others are comprehensive, like in Oklahoma and Maine, which just legalized switchblades, in March and April respectively.

#275102 - 05/12/15 12:20 AM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: brandtb]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Aren't there some disadvantages in arguing for knife rights via the Second Amendment?

1. We want tools, not just knives. We still won't be able to carry a pry bar in some places. I'd rather be able to carry a pry bar and a fixed Mora knife than a switch blade, an auto, or a "combat knife."

2. This strategy may deepen the impression of the general public that knife = weapon. That will result in a push back. Also, if we argument that the Second Amendment extends to knives, then it also extends to swords, halberds, spears, etc. It's hard to see how the American public will accept that. America is a gun culture, not a medieval weaponry culture. People will accept conceal-carried guns before they accept a morningstar.

3. Finally, we don't want the same sort of gun restrictions to be applied to knives: no knives near schools or federal buildings. Employers might be motivated to create "knife free zones." Stores might be pressured to start a "no knives" policy when they just want to make a buck.

#275103 - 05/12/15 12:54 AM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: brandtb]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
All good points Bingley.

#275104 - 05/12/15 03:33 AM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: brandtb]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The only justification I've ever seen attempted for knife restrictions have been based on their potential use as weapons. In my mind the Second Amendment is the perfect way to attack those sorts of restrictions in the United States.

#275108 - 05/12/15 10:23 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: brandtb]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I would prefer that knives be classed as a tool that could pressed into use as a weapon. Not the other way around. I don't want to need a permit to carry a pocket knife...

BOATMAN
John

#275109 - 05/12/15 10:31 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: brandtb]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Knives are tools but in the eyes of the law, protecting them as an "arm" protected by the 2nd Amendment is probably wise. I am not going to second-guess DR or Knife Rights on their strategy with regard to reversing knife laws.

#275112 - 05/14/15 08:33 AM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: boatman]
ATN Offline

Originally Posted By: boatman
I would prefer that knives be classed as a tool that could pressed into use as a weapon. Not the other way around. I don't want to need a permit to carry a pocket knife...

BOATMAN
John

Even if stuff like knives were legally classified as tools, that wouldn't automatically stop laws from restricting the use of your tools. I think having one of the Bill of Rights backing up one of your freedoms is generally better than not.

#275115 - 05/14/15 03:37 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: brandtb]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The fact that we're even having this discussion is proof the Second Amendment is a weak piece of legislation. It's been chipped away so much that it doesn't mean much anymore. We're sitting here talking about the right to carry a little blade that's a few inches. I wonder what folks from 100 years ago would think of what our society has become.

By the way, what pisses me off even more than knife legislation is the laws on portable gas cans. I hadn't bought a gas can in years. I went to Walmart to buy a gas can. I spent 10 minutes trying to figure it out. I failed. Then, I spent 5 more minutes thinking of ways to "re-engineer" the thing.

Bottom line, it seems like a collosal waste of time to try to reason with an adult who actually thinks these oppressive laws are a good idea. However, I will continue to $upport those who do take on the fight.

#275116 - 05/14/15 04:52 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: ireckon]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I went to Walmart to buy a gas can. I spent 10 minutes trying to figure it out. I failed. Then, I spent 5 more minutes thinking of ways to "re-engineer" the thing.

Not to mention the government mandated "safety" features on propane bottles (the 20lb kind for your BBQ grill out back). They now have some kind of float inside that supposedly protects you. But those floats always freeze up here in Colorado and no gas comes out. So people around here end up banging on the tanks with rocks, kicking them, and dropping them from heights to try to jar the float loose. Sounds so much "safer" to me! BTW, I'm a fan of the "turn the tank upside down and drop it on it's head from 6 inches up" method myself. Wonderful government regulations...

#275118 - 05/14/15 10:56 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: ireckon]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
+1

Put the separate air vent and old flexible rubber discharge back. They worked, didn't break, and then someone just HAD to fix it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.