Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#271095 - 08/02/14 08:13 PM Heat Wave
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I appreciate everyone who gave me ideas for the kitten problem

In the last few days I have trvelled to my home town and spent a few days with my brothers taking care of sick dad, as well as fixing a few broken things for mom. During that time , I have been forced to think out of the box and open my "companion bag" frequently for needed items.

It seems that no matter how we prep , we do fail at times. So, here are a few failures that faced me :

1 - I took the bigger (family car) in my first trip, forgot the my smaller companion bag was still in the smaller car. While caring for my dad we needed some tape, couln't find any. Remembered the smaller bag which had duct tape, but it was not around me.

2 - I have a "cache" of prep items in my room at dad's house including strong/wide electric tape which I could calim to be equivalent to duct tape. However, I couln't use it becasue the heat have converted it into oozy mess.

3 - We needed to clean and sterilize some infection in dad's back. I thought of using my pen-type spray sanitizer (from my bag) which maybe less painful than rubbing with gauze. It turned out the fluid has all evaporated.

So, here is the problem. HEAT kills several prep items
I cannot store any tape, fluid, battery ..etc. because they will not only expire but may ooze out and spoil other items.

Any smart ideas to remedy the problem ???

I remember a similar thread and some have suggested ice box in the car trunk . It will reduce temperature fluctuation.
I am looking into a soft bag intended to store hot/cold food. Should be foldable when not needed. But this still does not solve the problem of long term storage ( like for months ) in case of my room in dad's house or even in the upper floor in my house. Lots of heat for from June to August every year.

#271096 - 08/02/14 08:24 PM Re: Heat Wave [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

BTW, I have mentioned in other thread that we should not forget the "myself" while prepping. For example, while helping dad I have injured myself frequently and need to wrap my wrist and knee. Also, needed lots of vitamins in the past month. Vitamins cannot be stored in any BOB in this kind of weather. But in any case, remember "yourslf" come first. You cannot help anyone - even your family- if your eyes, back, hands, or legs are hurting.

#271121 - 08/04/14 09:41 AM Re: Heat Wave [Re: Chisel]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
For static storage of preps, consider a cheap refrigerator, with the thermostat set to the highest temperature. This wont be cold enough for perishable foods but should be fine for items like adhesive tape, jars of vitamins, first aid supplies, batteries and other preps that spoil rapidly in tropical heat.

Running costs for electricity should be affordable due to the relatively high thermostat setting and consequent limited running time.

The odd power failure wont matter much provided that it is on most of the time.

#271142 - 08/07/14 09:22 PM Re: Heat Wave [Re: Chisel]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Speaking of companion bags and cheap refrigerators...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_hi_eb?rh=n%3A15684181%2Cn%3A15857501%2Cn%3A15735661%2Cn%3A15735671&ie=UTF8&qid=1407444926

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#271165 - 08/10/14 04:27 PM Re: Heat Wave [Re: Mark_R]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

This is feasible for another purpose. I am going to work for a company part-time and would be moving alot. Such cooler-bag will be great for the car. But for extended unattended cooling, I will be relutctant to run a refrigerator unattended in a hot room for weeks or months. There will be a chance of fire.

#271167 - 08/10/14 04:39 PM Re: Heat Wave [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Here is what I did in my house. It may not apply elsewhere.

Our living room has sofas, off course, but they are no ordinary sofas. They are built-in concrete bins, covered with upholstry. Seats can be removed to reveal wooden boards with hinges. Lifting them reveals several storage 'boxes'(total about 2 cubic meters).

The living room is always air conditioned , so the contents of those sofas/storage bins are always in cool environment.

This setup is a win-win solution for a dad who wants to store stuff and mom who wants no 'warehouse' at home, and wants the house to look nice and pretty.

This method also utilizes the cooling energy that is spent anyway, to cool the prep stuff.

Doing this in my own house is easy, trying a similar thing in my dad's house is another thing altogether. LOL

Now imagine me telling dad that I have a nice bed for hinm as a gift. Only thing he should allow me access to the drawers underneath it time to time. hahahaha. I will get FREE cooling for my stuff stored in his house, but the down side is my dad, well, it's just not safe to store things there..

This kind of long-term static "free cooling" is what I am looking for actually.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 540 Guests and 77 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.