Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Subject: Important fire safety info for everyone

Fire Safety for 9 volt batteries

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSJH21WmALc

#266494 - 01/10/14 03:43 PM Re: Fire Safety - 9-Volt Batteries [Re: brandtb]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Wow.. I knew they got hot if the end touched, but never realized they could burst into flames.

I probably have several of these loose in a dresser drawer at home right now that are not taped... I'll be fixing that when I get home tonight!

#266495 - 01/10/14 04:14 PM Re: Fire Safety - 9-Volt Batteries [Re: RNewcomb]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Wow, indeed. Thanks for posting. Very pertinent....

#266497 - 01/10/14 04:35 PM Re: Fire Safety - 9-Volt Batteries [Re: RNewcomb]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: RNewcomb
Wow.. I knew they got hot if the end touched, but never realized they could burst into flames.

I probably have several of these loose in a dresser drawer at home right now that are not taped... I'll be fixing that when I get home tonight!

I do not think that any regular types of disposable 9 volt battery can burst into flame, the electrolyte consists largely of water in which a non flammable alkaline material is dissolved. The other materials are not normally regarded a flammable.

I have NEVER heard from a reputable source of a standard disposable battery catching fire.

Lithium 9 volt batteries exist and these might be a risk under extreme conditions, but alkaline or Zinc carbon cells ? I very much doubt it.

A spark from shorting out a 9 volt battery could certainly start a fire in the presence of flammables such as gasoline, propane, or other readily ignited materials, but that is not the same. Any spark could be dangerous under such conditions.

#266498 - 01/10/14 04:38 PM Re: Fire Safety - 9-Volt Batteries [Re: brandtb]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Its one of those rare but real risks I guess. At work they started out recycling batteries and early on they required 'tape both ends of each battery', 9 volt or other. I dutifully taped both ends of ~30 AAs and it was a pain. They since have revised down to taping *no* batteries and are none the worse off for it. Probably the Risks folks haven't heard about this one - but with no recorded fires in the recycle bins who would raise the issue...

#266499 - 01/10/14 05:01 PM Re: Fire Safety - 9-Volt Batteries [Re: brandtb]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I can see how one or two 9 volt batteries, in a full on short could create enough heat to ignite some sort of fuel. What I don't understand about the video, is how that small ignition could have propagated into a whole house fire. I can only assume that the batteries in question were in very close proximity to a fair amount of fuel, perhaps paper etc. IMO, there was a second mistake: throwing out the batteries into s source of fuel. In our community, we have a separate recycling bin for paper, cardboard etc. A great fuel source if you put the batteries into it together in a paper bag. Note that the recycling bin has an attached cover; closing it might be a useful safety precaution also.

#266503 - 01/10/14 07:38 PM Re: Fire Safety - 9-Volt Batteries [Re: brandtb]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Who knows if the battery burst into flames? It could have have been whatever shorted the leads that burst into flames. Attach a wire across the leads and notice how quickly that wire gets HOT. (Actually, don't do this.) Either way, covering the leads with electrical tape is a good, simple, inexpensive precaution.

#266505 - 01/10/14 08:35 PM Re: Fire Safety - 9-Volt Batteries [Re: brandtb]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I did manage to short a 9V battery a couple of years ago when I inadvertently shorted it across a 9.6V NiCad AA battery pack. It got too hot to hold for more then a few senconds, and then it vented. I heard a faint pop-hiss when it did this.

I find it hard to believe, given the prevalence of 9V alkaline batteries, that some safety fetures was not built into the battery to prevent it from catching on fire.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#266509 - 01/11/14 02:46 AM Re: Fire Safety - 9-Volt Batteries [Re: brandtb]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
A 9V battery is just six quad-A (AAAA) 1.5V batteries pressed together in a case. As others have noted, they wouldn't burn on their own (unlike lithium-ion rechargeables); but if shorted out by aluminum foil, I suppose they could be enough current to create a brief burst of heat and ignite tinder. The conditions for causing a fire would have to be unbelievably perfect -- I would rate it as a freak occurrence. There are things in the average house and attached garage that are more dangerous by orders of magnitude.

#266510 - 01/11/14 03:53 AM Re: Fire Safety - 9-Volt Batteries [Re: dougwalkabout]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I don't know if it would reach ignition temperature but a standard 9V will get hot enough that if dropped in a pocket with change, you will be removing it quickly if it shorts. BTDT to myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.