Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#261207 - 06/08/13 06:57 PM What do you do for cold tired feet ??
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Near 60 y.o. and not getting any younger. Plus I am overwight

Although our area isn't cold by any means ( I am not wading thru snow, LOL ) but still feel cold feet. Poor blood circulation and aging . So, I tried something and it works !!

Time to time, I wrap my cold feet in a blanket, put a pillow on the blanket, and bribe my heaviest kid to sit on the pillow for 10-15 minutes. Kids do comaplain off course but if the kid is holding an iPad or such, time will pass until I thank them for their service

What do you do for your cold tired feet ???

#261208 - 06/08/13 08:04 PM Re: What do you do for cold tired feet ?? [Re: Chisel]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I don't have cold tired feet and I'm over 60 . . . I walk the dog three times a day and right now it's time to go to the gym -- an aerobic warm up followed by an hour of resistance training, good old fashioned weight training. Exercise, use it or lose it.

#261209 - 06/08/13 08:05 PM Re: What do you do for cold tired feet ?? [Re: Chisel]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I walk regularly, and have worked up both distance and speed; recently joined local gym for strength training 3 days a week. Helps keep the heart healthy and the blood moving; fewer problems with feeling cold (including feet).

On a more serious note, as we age our thyroid can begin to "peter out." Lower thyroid activity can cause one to feel cold in "normal" room temps. A talk with the Doc may be in order...(been there, done that). wink

If all else fails, try Grandma's remedy---put on a hat; its like putting a lid on a tea kettle, keeps the heat in for use by other parts of the body, including the feet. grin

#261211 - 06/09/13 02:37 AM Re: What do you do for cold tired feet ?? [Re: Chisel]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Down booties.

#261212 - 06/09/13 03:43 AM Re: What do you do for cold tired feet ?? [Re: Chisel]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Jack Russell terrier: They burrow down to the foot of the bed, and have a body temp of 103F.Only negative aspect: shrimping, ie, they like to lick your toes.

#261216 - 06/10/13 01:06 AM Re: What do you do for cold tired feet ?? [Re: Chisel]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Try using old socks, fill with rice, tie off and nuke it till warm but not hot. You'll have to adjust the nuke time depending on what temperature you prefer. This makes a poor mans foot therapy. I've used massage oil to rub into your tired feet, then use the warm therapy, then put on regular socks. I wear socks ALL the time, mainly to keep from walking on the cold tile floor, the other reason is to keep my carpets cleaner for longer.

#261219 - 06/10/13 02:04 AM Re: What do you do for cold tired feet ?? [Re: Chisel]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Near 60 y.o. and not getting any younger. Plus I am overwight

Although our area isn't cold by any means ( I am not wading thru snow, LOL ) but still feel cold feet. Poor blood circulation and aging . So, I tried something and it works !!

Time to time, I wrap my cold feet in a blanket, put a pillow on the blanket, and bribe my heaviest kid to sit on the pillow for 10-15 minutes. Kids do comaplain off course but if the kid is holding an iPad or such, time will pass until I thank them for their service

What do you do for your cold tired feet ???

Try something very simple. Switch to a pair of dry socks periodically. You would be surprised at how much more comfortable a different set of socks does at the end of a walk/hike.

#261232 - 06/10/13 11:10 AM Re: What do you do for cold tired feet ?? [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Wool - fresh merino wool hiking socks and wool slippers just like my Grandma used to make me. Clean dry socks are step one for me every time. If I'm extra chilly, I find wrapping up the rest of me helps.

In camp, I have a pair of down booties that work really well over a fresh pair of socks.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#261235 - 06/10/13 01:45 PM Re: What do you do for cold tired feet ?? [Re: Chisel]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
This may or may not work. I was in a study while in the Army - people who have poor circulation in their hands/feet.

Put your hands/feet in warm water while in a cool environment. If it is chilly outside, don't dress warmly, but have a large pan/bucket with warm water you can put your feet in. We did 10 minutes in, rest 5 (cover feet to keep them warm) repeat 3 times.

I was in the control group. This process seemed to help people with decreased circulation.

#261238 - 06/10/13 07:06 PM Re: What do you do for cold tired feet ?? [Re: JBMat]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
IMO the real issue/question is how to increase circulation. The remedies noted in this thread may help immediate comfort, but there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 577 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.