Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#258677 - 04/07/13 03:37 PM What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters?
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

This has always confused me. I have read that fire is about the worst thing to occur in a plane in flight. By the way, one book of strike-on-box matches is also allowed.

#258685 - 04/08/13 01:37 AM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: ireckon]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I can't answer your question, but at least I can carry my beloved security snow globe with me on the plane now. Oh, snow globe, you are so round and comforting. You'd never do anything bad to me, would you?

But, hey, we should be happy. It looks like we can have some tools for fixing things and even the ability to build a fire, in the unlikely event that we survive a plane crash on a desolate, icy mountain side. Heck, we'll even have entertainment! Who's up for some hockey (both the sticks and the skates are allowed). McGyver would be able to get himself out of any situation with all this stuff, plus a rope made of the hair of all the passengers.

#258687 - 04/08/13 01:50 AM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: ireckon]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Why not? Where are you going to start a fire? Cabin is full of people and lavatory has smoke detectors. Besides if someone is hellbent on doing it they don't need a lighter.

#258704 - 04/09/13 12:42 AM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: Bingley]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I can't answer your question, but at least I can carry my beloved security snow globe with me on the plane now. Oh, snow globe, you are so round and comforting. You'd never do anything bad to me, would you?

You don't watch Sons Of Anarchy, do you? laugh

#258707 - 04/09/13 02:19 AM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: ireckon]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Can you explain the reference to Sons of Anarchy? Is it about a snow globe gone amuck?

#258711 - 04/09/13 07:46 AM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: ireckon]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Apparently Jax beats someone to death with a snow globe. At least this is what I found googling around.

#258721 - 04/09/13 04:17 PM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: ireckon]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
It is perception vs reality. The reality is that on 9/11 attackers used box cutters and took advantage of the then in place rules that flight crews must always obey hijackers. The response to that threat should have been hardened cockpit doors, armed flight crews, and rescinding the rule that flight crews obey hijackers and these steps were in fact taken. That's it, end of story, you fixed the problem with just those three changes.

But in addition to those rational changes in security, the government imposed an enormous bureaucratic system of security focused on passengers and did nothing about cargo, mail, and only cursory security changes to passengers' baggage procedures. Banning lighters means nothing if there are 2 tons of unsearched, unsniffed priority mail boxes in the baggage compartment.

Thus the perception vs. reality. The perception is that the government is doing something and you're safer. The reality is that it's all for show. While you wait in line and have your pockets and shoes searched for too much shampoo, thousands of pounds of mail and cargo are being loaded onto your plane with hardly a second look.

Specifically addressing your lighter issue... Using a lighter on a plane nowadays would elicit an immediate response from every able bodied male on that plane and the flight crew would not obey your commands. This makes a bic lighter all but useless to an attacker, much like knives or shampoo bottles or shoes or all the other unreasonable prohibitions placed on passengers.

#258723 - 04/09/13 04:33 PM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: NuggetHoarder]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Do you think things would actually be safer if BIC lighters were banned? I call it "pretend safer". Let's all pretend we are safer, sing Kum Ba Ya, and all that. Banning the inconsequential things, while ignoring the big problems, is pointless. Next they'll be trying to ban high capacity magazines, the ones with more than 100 pages, on airplanes. Sheesh.

#258724 - 04/09/13 04:37 PM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: ireckon]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
It's okay to discuss the TSA's rationale or what we think their rationale might be. Let's stay away from politics and keep the tone positive.

chaosmagnet

#258734 - 04/09/13 08:36 PM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I have to check my weapons bag when I fly. It's annoying but understandable. But then they hand me an interesting assortment of lethal weapons when we're in the air. Including a drinking straw. Not to mention the writing instuments, etc I;m allowed to board with. But they wont let me take my razor in my carry on shaving kit. They need to rethin k thier entire approach and start overr. Just my opinion, you're welcome to yours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.