The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#239204 - 01/13/12 07:46 AM 100% Propane for Backpacking Stoves
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Yes, you read that correctly, 100% propane for backpacking type stoves.

The ideal set up is the 226g/8oz 100% propane Bernzomatic PowerCell -- if you can find them. They're out there, but they're tough to find.

Absent a PowerCell, you can use an adapter like the Kovea LPG (propane) adapter with common 16.4oz/465g propane cylinders, the kind everyone uses for car camping.

What are the considerations involved with the use of such an adapter and 100% propane for backpacking stoves? I address these and other practical matters of propane for backpacking stoves in my latest blog post: 100% Propane For Backpacking Stoves.

HJ

#239206 - 01/13/12 08:42 AM Re: 100% Propane for Backpacking Stoves [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
As always: Great info, great writeup. Thanks smile

#239209 - 01/13/12 09:24 AM Re: 100% Propane for Backpacking Stoves [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A heavier propane cylinder would certainly be practical for a kayak or canoe trip, where such luxuries are commonplace.

#239211 - 01/13/12 03:00 PM Re: 100% Propane for Backpacking Stoves [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
HJ -- Have you tried using MAPP gas thru a camping stove? Too hot? Looks like it uses the same bottle/fitting as the propane in your pic.

#239221 - 01/13/12 05:03 PM Re: 100% Propane for Backpacking Stoves [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
A heavier propane cylinder would certainly be practical for a kayak or canoe trip, where such luxuries are commonplace.
The other nice thing about propane is that if you buy a 2 pack at Wal-Mart, it's $2.56 for 465g. If you buy a 450g standard threaded backpacking gas canister, it's $9.00, over three times more.

The big propane canister is heavy, but if say you were doing trailhead camping the night before a trip or you were doing "basecamp" style* hiking, then it wouldn't be too bad.

As you say, for canoeing and rafting it wouldn't be too bad. Even things like snowmobiling, a more compact stove might be nice. A lot of the single burner propane stoves I've seen are pretty big affairs.

HJ

*Backpack into a location, set up a base camp, and then just do day trips in and around the base camp. In other words, not carrying a full pack the whole time.

#239223 - 01/13/12 05:41 PM Re: 100% Propane for Backpacking Stoves [Re: Russ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
HJ -- Have you tried using MAPP gas thru a camping stove? Too hot? Looks like it uses the same bottle/fitting as the propane in your pic.
Russ,

I have not tried MAPP gas. The fitting is as you say the same. According to Bernzomatic.com, the flame temperature in air is higher than either butane or propane, but not inordinately so:
Flame Temperature in Air (ºF)
Butane 3,200
Propane 3,450
MAPP 3,600

A difference of 150ºF when dealing with temps above 3,000ºF isn't particularly significant.

How about the vapor pressure? From Bernzomatic.com (I assume this is psi):
Vapor Pressure @70ºF
Butane 30
Propane 125
MAPP 140
Notice the huge step up from butane to propane. There is no similar jump from propane to MAP (95 psi increase vs. 15 psi increase).

Just looking at the flame temps and the psi (an admittedly limited look), nothing screams at me "don't do this." However, I'd still be very cautious. Read the warnings on my blog. If flame "lift off" is a potential problem with propane, then it will be even more so with MAPP. One must also consider the strength of all valves, connections, etc. Can everything on your set up run at higher pressure? I can't answer that question, so anyone using MAPP is doing so at their own risk.

The other question is: Would there be any advantage to using MAPP? Probably not for most applications, but notice the high vapor pressure. High vapor pressure to me indicates that MAPP probably has a lower boiling point and therefore might be better for extreme cold (temps below -30F). I need to research this more, so that's just a guess for now.

If, in an emergency, MAPP gas were the only thing I could find, would I try it? Yes. And I'd turn things down really low first. I'd also use something like the Brunton Stove Stand seen in my blog post so that the flame is separated from the fuel. The stove stand has two valves which allows me to step down the pressure further. There is no law that says you have to open a valve fully -- so don't. I open the valve at the canister say 75%, and then I open the valve at the burner say 35%. That's plenty of pressure for my little backpacking stove and is very close to what 100% would be like if I were using a backpacking type canister.

Adapters open up whole new worlds in terms of fuel and stove combinations that can be used. Adapters can also open up a whole new world of hurt if you exceed the limitations of a particular set up. Just because you can hook up something up doesn't mean it's a good idea. Above all else, be careful.

HJ

#239225 - 01/13/12 06:02 PM Re: 100% Propane for Backpacking Stoves [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Addenda to the above:
According to Bernzomatic.com, the boiling point of MAPP gas is -54F/-48C. The boiling point for propane is -44F/-42C. There might indeed be an advantage to using MAPP gas in extreme cold.

HJ

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.