Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#233517 - 10/11/11 02:00 AM MSR Whisperlite Universal -- Completed Review
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I've been working on a review of the new MSR Whisperlite Universal.

The big news is that the new Whisperlite Universal will run on gas as well as liquid fuel.

Running on canister gas. NICE big flames.

My review of the new MSR Whisperlite Universal is complete and now available:
MSR Whisperlite Universal Review.

By the way, Seattle Backpackers Magazine is a worthwhile read even if you're not interested in my particular article.

Configuring the stove for different fuels:

More photos:

Running on white gasoline (Coleman fuel).

Putting out some heat!

The new Whisperlite (left) and the old Whisperlite (right).

Running on kerosene.

Stove testing at First Water on the Mt. Wilson Trail.

It's a really nice stove and a really nice job by MSR.

HJ

#233519 - 10/11/11 03:42 AM Re: MSR Whisperlite Universal -- Completed Review [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Jim,your photo-zen is amazing,indeed!Thanks for all the info!

#233520 - 10/11/11 03:54 AM Re: MSR Whisperlite Universal -- Completed Review [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Photo zen. smile Thanks, Rich.

HJ

#233521 - 10/11/11 06:39 AM Re: MSR Whisperlite Universal -- Completed Review [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Thanks for an awesome review - now I want one whistle

There isn't any need to take out those small parts during normal stove operations, is there? (assemble - cook - cool - pack away), is there?

I wouldn't think those finicky small parts would come into play in the field unless you swap fuel type or have to do intensive field maintenance.

Speaking of maintenance - what tools do you need for disasembly?

About those infamous MSR pumps - what's wrong with them? How did they earn their bad reputation?

#233532 - 10/11/11 07:45 PM Re: MSR Whisperlite Universal -- Completed Review [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Thanks for an awesome review - now I want one whistle
You're welcome. smile

There isn't any need to take out those small parts during normal stove operations, is there? (assemble - cook - cool - pack away), is there?

No, there's no reason to take everything into the field unless maybe you were on a long journey across South America or something like that. For a normal camping or backpacking trip of a week or two, set the stove up at home and leave alternate fuel set ups behind.

I wouldn't think those finicky small parts would come into play in the field unless you swap fuel type or have to do intensive field maintenance.
Exactly right.

Speaking of maintenance - what tools do you need for disasembly?

I've started a FAQ on the stove. Check it out: MSR Whisperlite Universal -- FAQ and Additional Photos
Have a look and let me know if I've answered the question.

About those infamous MSR pumps - what's wrong with them? How did they earn their bad reputation?

The current MSR pump, the Duraseal pump, actually isn't bad. It's probably the best design MSR has had since the mid-eighties.

The pumps that MSR had from the mid-eighties through the late 00's (ca. 2008), did have some problems. Most notably:
  • The pump tabs that held the shaft to the body would break.
  • The valve housing would crack and leak fuel (that would be bad).
  • The "O" ring that seals the pump to the fuel bottle would crack and leak.

All of these problems have been rectified to one degree or another on the current generation of MSR pumps. Are MSR pumps as good as something like the pump off of a Soto Muka or Primus Omnifuel? Probably not, but they're decent and certainly more affordable.

HJ

#235450 - 11/10/11 06:22 PM Re: MSR Whisperlite Universal -- Completed Review [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I just saw the Whisperlite Universal for sale (but not in stock) on MEC's site for $131.00 CAD (about $128.00 USD). Assuming the price doesn't change when the stoves actually hit the shelves in January, I think it's a smart move by MSR. I think MSR was reaching a bit with their original MSRP of $140.

For those who don't know, MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) is a large, outdoors-oriented Canadian retailer. They're vaguely similar to REI (Recreational Equipment Incorporated), the US retailer.

HJ

Review of the MSR Whisperlite Universal

#235476 - 11/11/11 01:08 AM Re: MSR Whisperlite Universal -- Completed Review [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Hehe, what the heck are you looking at MEC's website for? You got way better prices down south.

#235479 - 11/11/11 01:42 AM Re: MSR Whisperlite Universal -- Completed Review [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I'm curious as to what the price of the new Whisperlite Universal will be when it actually hits the stores. MEC is the only retailer listing the Whisperlite Universal so far, so it's the only "hard" price data that I've got.

Trailspace.com has listed $140 which I thought was excessive, so it's refreshing to see MEC list the stove for $130. Perhaps it will be even less when it actually hits the stores here in the US. Trailspace isn't selling the stove; their price estimate is just based on what MSR put out at Outdoor Retailer last summer.

HJ

#235510 - 11/11/11 04:59 PM Re: MSR Whisperlite Universal -- Completed Review [Re: jzmtl]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Hehe, what the heck are you looking at MEC's website for? You got way better prices down south.

Actually, I noticed that MEC is pretty competitive on stuff like MSR gear when I was tent shopping. For example, a Hubba Hubba is $289 at MEC and $299 at REI. For stoves, MEC sells the DragonFly for $118 and REI is $130, etc.

Interestingly, retailers for MSR (and others) won't ship these products internationally.

#235515 - 11/11/11 05:38 PM Re: MSR Whisperlite Universal -- Completed Review [Re: Denis]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Denis
Originally Posted By: jzmtl

Actually, I noticed that MEC is pretty competitive on stuff like MSR gear when I was tent shopping. For example, a Hubba Hubba is $289 at MEC and $299 at REI. For stoves, MEC sells the DragonFly for $118 and REI is $130, etc.

Interestingly, retailers for MSR (and others) won't ship these products internationally.
Interesting that the prices would be lower in Canada which has a reputation for slightly higher prices.

Maybe the price really will be $140 in the US. frown

HJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 537 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.