Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#232628 - 09/23/11 02:27 PM Back to where I once belonged.....
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Usually, I have an uncanny ability to select the worst weather in the region - weeks in advance - to schedule my vacation, and this year was no exception. In addition to the 35' degree cold and constant heavy drizzle, punctuated by the occasional cloudburst and 30 MPH winds, I was spooked out of my original camping plans in the Superior National Forest by the massive Pagami Creek wildfire.

Forunatate to have a choice, I am just back from a week of camping in the Chippewa National Forest instead.

I go on one main solo camping trip each year, and I plan all year for it. This one was a little different. I brought along copious amounts of gear to 'test'. I could have outfitted an expedition with the stuff I brought this time. No doubt that a heater, a cot, an artic-weight sleeping bag, a folding lawnchair, LED lantern, and a bigger tent helped me to brave the bad weather, but it also increased my level of boredom, decreased my level of satisfaction with the trip, and as a special bonus, I gained two pounds. If you asked me why I feel this way, I probably couldn't explain it. It was almost like a hotel room, but with a muddy hallway and no TV.

I have a couple more short gear-heavy trips planned with companions, but this was my last solo of the year.

Next year, it's back to the basics..............the place where I once belonged.

#232629 - 09/23/11 03:13 PM Re: Back to where I once belonged..... [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Byrd..i know how that go's!! my last two BWCA solos involved a lot of sitting in a Baker shelter reading and napping. i have been over to that park in Wisconsin and it's not too bad,i found a place by a lake i could put my canoe in for some fishing.i also had a car-camp a week or so ago and packed the back of our SUV with everything plus..

#232631 - 09/23/11 03:23 PM Re: Back to where I once belonged..... [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I more or less just camped out of my truck this time. The area I was in is north of Grand Rapids MN, has hundreds of lakes and streams, and big woods. It is pretty nice. With all the gear I brought, I found that I spent more time sitting around than usual, probably due to the fact that everything was in the truck. It made me lazy.

#232638 - 09/23/11 09:39 PM Re: Back to where I once belonged..... [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Byrd..opps,i got my parks mixed up.i was thinking of the one over in Wisconsin, Chequamegon..which i can never pronounce...
i know Chippewa..nice place but i never looked around at it in detail as i always went up to the BWCA.

#232644 - 09/24/11 12:27 AM Re: Back to where I once belonged..... [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
For those of us that can't get out on a solo camp out,being bored in the boonies still beats being bored at home!I'm glad to know your handle isn't JoJo,:)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.