Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#230009 - 08/18/11 03:14 AM I predict a riot
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I predict a riot can now get you a 4 year prison sentence in England.

It looks like you now have to be very careful what you say or publish online in England, especially if you've had a little too much to drink.

Thought crime or incitement? Pleading guilty for a 'crime of incitement' using a computer to access a social media website sounds like a bad idea. The police and prosecution would have to prove that no-one else had access to your login information and a jury trial would be required to convict beyond a reasonable doubt.

#230012 - 08/18/11 04:16 AM Re: I predict a riot [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

The police and prosecution would have to prove that no-one else had access to your login information and a jury trial would be required to convict beyond a reasonable doubt.

Well they already have your IP address along with any other activity which you logged at that time - this would make a pretty strong circumstantial case, and then you would need a "reasonable" jury.

I think you may as well say fairwell now and let us know when the parole comes through in a couple of years !

Bye !

#230013 - 08/18/11 04:51 AM Re: I predict a riot [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
That's what happens when you use McDonalds as your meeting place,LOL!I wonder,How long the sentence would be if were in Scotland rather than England,:)

#230018 - 08/18/11 10:42 AM Re: I predict a riot [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Thankfully Kaiser Chiefs weren't arrested! They're an amazing band! Everyone here should buy their albums.

#230023 - 08/18/11 01:54 PM Re: I predict a riot [Re: Richlacal]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
How long the sentence would be if were in Scotland rather than England,:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-14481112

Potentially a life imprisonment tariff, for the charge of breach of the peace, if the case is heard in the High Court.

The maximum tariff in England is 5 years imprisonment for the charge of incitement to riot. Getting 4 years for a guilty plea shows just how upset and nervous the largely corrupt establishment is getting over here.

There is also talk of police curfew powers and the use of plastic baton rounds and Water cannon being used in England if these type of riots were to flare up again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/16/uk-riots-police-new-curfew-powers

And the full force of the austerity cuts have yet to be felt.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/18/11 02:33 PM)

#230025 - 08/18/11 02:11 PM Re: I predict a riot [Re: Aussie]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Well they already have your IP address along with any other activity which you logged at that time - this would make a pretty strong circumstantial case, and then you would need a "reasonable" jury.

Of course using the Internet to spread the message of incitement to riot can also be used if publishing a general web page, the law doesn't take into account whether it was Facebook or not (Facebook just makes it easy for the Police Authorities to know what door to kick down). Now if it was possible to publish a website inciting other to riotous behavior, which was linked to Broadband accounts held by lets say at Number 10 Downing steeet, how do you prove or disprove that it was actually Prime Minister David Cameron who sat down one evening and published the web page?

BTW this is not at all theoretical but can be quite easily implemented, by those who have access to Number 10 Downing Street Internet access accounts. There are those who are involved in the current Phone and Computer hacking scandal who know how to implement this.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/18/11 02:14 PM)

#230030 - 08/18/11 05:02 PM Re: I predict a riot [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I don't have any sympathy for someone who incites a riot. If you don't want to go to prison for 5+ years, then don't incite a riot. It really is that simple.

Inciting a riot is not a thought crime. Rather, it involves calculated malicious intent long beforehand. At the least, it involves a mindset of reckless endangerment. Either way, what we have is a fundamental element of a felony. If you incite a riot, then you should be at least partially responsible for all money damages, injuries and deaths that result from the riot.

I'm a grown up with a kid. I am not sympathetic to rowdy youths who endanger the lives of my family. Riots are not cool. What's cool to me is a boring neighborhood with boring neighbors.

#230032 - 08/18/11 05:19 PM Re: I predict a riot [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Update: thread unlocked.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (08/19/11 08:58 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#230921 - 08/29/11 01:43 PM Re: I predict a riot [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Thought crime or incitement?
It's not a thought-crime. They both acted by publishing their incitement online. One of them turned up to take part in his "Smash Down" event.

People have died in the recent riots. Homes have been burned. These are not thought-crimes.

Quote:
Pleading guilty for a 'crime of incitement' using a computer to access a social media website sounds like a bad idea.
If you are guilty, then pleading guilty is usually a good idea. They did what they did, so why pretend they didn't?

#230927 - 08/29/11 02:02 PM Re: I predict a riot [Re: Brangdon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The usual reason for pleading not guilty is to require the prosecution to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Every situation is a little different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 556 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.