Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#230212 - 08/22/11 02:33 AM Standalone GPS or Android phone?
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Folks, I need some advice. My standalone GPS, a Magellan Triton 400 has seemingly died and before I spend a few hundred bucks for a new unit I'm wondering if I could just rely on my Droid X with a Topo map app such as Locus or Backcounty Navigator.

Questions to me are:

Ruggedness
Battery Life
Screen Size
Ability to pre-load maps
Reception

I'm not usually a fan of multi-function devices but since I can also use the Droid for phone calls, messaging, first aid apps, etc. it might be a viable option.

What do you think?

#230214 - 08/22/11 03:03 AM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: Andy]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Are you using the GPS for hiking? For driving navigation, I'd prefer a dedicated device. Navigating by phone works generally, but (1) it can be awkward to operate since the phone isn't designed for that; and (2) the reception may not be as good or as accurate as a dedicated GPS.

Like you, I also worry about putting all my eggs in one basket. If your cell phone fails or run out of juice, you may not know where you are, and you cannot call for help.

Da Bing

#230215 - 08/22/11 03:09 AM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: Andy]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
What do you think?

The last stand alone GPS unit I purchased cost me around $15. It has a very sensitive SiRF III GPS receiver and a very long battery life.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Navicore-Three-Bluetooth-Including-Charger/dp/B004ZDOR9S

It can be used with a huge array of electronic display/map systems that have a Bluetooth connection. It works with a ruggedised cellular phone (which also has a GPS built into the handset as well so has some redundancy)

Current Cellular handsets have a much higher screen resolution for displaying electronic maps but are not very rugged when compared to standalone GPS electronic mapping display systems of a similar handset size.

I still use a paper map and a compass though as the GPS signal isn't always guaranteed to be available and electronics can fail and batteries die.

A stand alone GPS is useful though if you don't want your handset manufacturer, service provider, government google authorities not knowing where you are.

#230230 - 08/22/11 12:15 PM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: Andy]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Andy, I would go with a stand alone GPS. I have a original droid with copilot on it as to store the maps locally on the phone if you lose your signal. No signal/no maps unless you use additional software on the phone. That being said, a standalone rugged GPS will last you a long time, if you have to cross a river or fall off a boat and are swimming, they are waterproof and durable against dropping them but the beauty of them is they store electronic maps of the entire world and they use common batteries and can be ran 100% off of a solar cell.

I can't run my Droid off a cell 100%, the minute I pull my battery out of the phone and boot up, the software of the phone will not allow me to run the phone with no batteries in the unit, my GPS will. Essentially as long as you have a sun you have navigation and if we ever lose all the satellites for the GPS, you still have very good quality maps on you of the entire world.

With the GPS map data base alone, if you are traveling, flying, sailing, or what have you, you are carrying maps on you at all times, not to say I don't carry a compass and paper maps as backup.

#230241 - 08/22/11 02:49 PM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: Andy]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
The Delorme InReach is due to be released in one month. That device might be a game changer for you. It will work with an Android phone and preliminary reports say that Android users will have access to all Delorme maps.

#230259 - 08/22/11 05:18 PM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I love my android phone and have dozens of great GPS driven apps on it to navigate in the town and off the grid. I'm carrying it with me in the field all the time in the quite rugged OtterBox Defender case, as well as several means of charging its battery... However, it's only a backup. The battery life, antenna sensitivity, and overall reliability are not that good to promote it to a primary navigation unit. So, I'd always recommend to go for a dedicated unit. For example Delorme have quite attractive offers for bundles of their PN series units with their excellent PC mapping software. Garmin offers nice handhelds combined with the FRS/GMRS radio...

#230260 - 08/22/11 05:22 PM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I use a GPS device mostly for day walks in relatively non-backcountry areas of the mid-Atlantic region. On most trips walking a couple of miles in any direction and I'm crossing a well-traveled road. So the GPS is to keep me from walking in circles or losing track of where I parked the car. I do use paper maps and a compass as well but am still learning that skill.

I have a separate GPS for the car.

I can protect the phone pretty well from the elements and I carry a battery-powered recharging unit (plus I can put the phone in the 'airplane' mode which keeps it from draining the battery looking for a phone signal).

Buying a standalone GPS with a 4" screen is pretty darned expensive. The bigger screen of the Droid X is a help to these old eyes.

I'll take a look at the Delorme product but then I'm still relying on the phone, right?

To be truthful I've not had luck at picking the market winners for GPS devices (ever heard of AVmap, Dash, or Navigon?) and it seems Garmin is using it's market share to keep prices high.

While philosphically I'd rather have a really good standalone GPS, I may stick with Droid, pre-load the maps I'll need, take the backup charger, the Maxpedition holster, the armored case and waterproof bag and hope for the best.

Still...

#230565 - 08/25/11 05:37 PM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: Andy]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Well after speaking to Magellan tech support my Triton has been declared permanently dead. They offered me a discount on a new unit as they don't repair out of warranty units. I can get either an Explorist 610 for $270 or a Explorist 510 for $209.

I had been thinking about a new version of the e-Trex 20 for about $190.

For $80 more the 610 has a bigger screen, touch screen menus, a camera, voice recorder, 500MB on board storage (micro SD, as well) and a full set of US 24K topo maps.

Dang it, again I'm tempted to go away from the obvious market leader and buy something that has all the features I wanted but isn't a Garmin.

Suggestions?

#230568 - 08/25/11 05:49 PM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: Andy]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
IMO, the SiRFstarIII on Explorist is kind of dated chipset already. Isn't it? 20 satellites only. While modern chipsets may support up to 66...

#230592 - 08/25/11 08:08 PM Re: Standalone GPS or Android phone? [Re: Andy]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I have a Triton... Any idea what killed yours, Andy?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 564 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.