The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#229933 - 08/17/11 01:50 AM Camp 8/12 - 8/14
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Day 1

We got there a later than I had planned. So dinner was later than planned since I had to make it. After we set up, I dug a shallow imu. It was only about 10 inches deep, but I lined it with some bricks I found Sorry no pictures as I was working as fast as I could. Built a fire over the pit and the draft effect helped.

Because of the late start, I had to improvise. The plan was to make kalua chicken, but with time constraints, I mad imu roast chicken instead. I put some hot coals in the pit, put the wrapped chicken inside and instead of burying it to make the imu, I made a slightly raised platform fire over the imu pit. It was on there that I made the rice. We also had appetizers of sausage, peppers and onion kabobs as well as veggies.

The chicken came out great with a tasty crispy skin and juicy meat. After several hours, the chicken breasts were still squirting juices. The kids were hungry and the adults scarfed! I saved the carcasses for the next night's dinner of chicken jook.

After dinner, I got to settle down and take some pictures. The moon was big and bright. So much so that i didn't feel bad about forgetting to replace my broken lantern mantles.

The gratuitous camp fire shot.

My buddy with his LOTR style pipe. I was surprised by it because I never saw him smoke. And then again when he mentioned Aragon (sp?). Nerd! wink

#229934 - 08/17/11 01:50 AM Re: Camp 8/12 - 8/14 [Re: aloha]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Day 2

Sunrise.

Was going to do sunrise tai chi, but made cowboy coffee and sipped it by the fire and watched the sunrise instead.

My monkey #1

Kids are hams.

My monkey #2

The girls wanted me to show them how to make fire. So I told them I would. Unfortunately, I didn't get to harvest the materials for friction fire. But I have since gotten some for next camp. This time it was the ferro rod. But whatever the method, preparation was key. So I had the girls gather and separate wood by pencil lead, pencil and thumb sizes.

You can't see the larger sticks in this picture. Then they prepared tinder bundles that they each practiced lighting with the ferro rod. Then they each made a tinder bundle to combine into one large bundle to light the fire. This time monkey #1 had the honors of lighting it. They learned to be gentle with the fire and not to suffocate it...like a baby. So when they smothered the tinder by throwing on kindling, I showed them how to make air spaces and blow it back to flame. Soon, they had a nice fire going. They kept it going all night, especially monkey #2, who was super focused and took really good care of the fire, even while the other kids ran off to play.

One of the other dads tried to help the older boys, who came later, get their fire going, since the younger girls were successful. The boys failed. They were too impatient and failed or refused to prepare.

Next up, nature shots and lake visit...

#229935 - 08/17/11 01:51 AM Re: Camp 8/12 - 8/14 [Re: aloha]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

#229936 - 08/17/11 01:52 AM Re: Camp 8/12 - 8/14 [Re: aloha]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Day 3

Didn't take many pictures on the last day. We were busy packing.

Before our last day's pictures, here's a meal recap:

Day 1 dinner - roast chicken, sausage pepper onion kabobs, veggies and rice
Day 2 breakfast - breakfast burritos, cereal ad fruit
Day 2 lunch - meatball sandwiches, chips, fruit and veggies
Day 3 dinner - chicken jook and other left overs
Day 3 breakfast - oatmeal, sausages, fruit, cereal and left overs

Relaxing

After we packed up, we put out the fire with our traditional volcano show. The coals were super hot so the steam and ash volcano is still fun for the kids. We filled a trash bag with water and rolled it to the fire pit in a wagon and the kids took turns pouring a bottle of water onto the hot coals until the fire was out and cold.

Day 3 lunch was our after camp sushi. The girls had a dessert afterwards of ice pancake filled with ice cream and azuki beans. As you can see, they didn't like it.

Until next time...ALOHA!

#229943 - 08/17/11 02:57 AM Re: Camp 8/12 - 8/14 [Re: aloha]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Good Times in Paradise,It just doesn't get bettern' that!Yesterday I had a large serving of shaved ice w/azuki beans,& today I bought a dozen moshi cakes w/azuki beans,& Yes,I wolfed them all in 1 sitting,washed em' down with cold miso soup,It's ono! Mahalo!

#229968 - 08/17/11 05:05 PM Re: Camp 8/12 - 8/14 [Re: Richlacal]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Good Times in Paradise,It just doesn't get bettern' that!Yesterday I had a large serving of shaved ice w/azuki beans,& today I bought a dozen moshi cakes w/azuki beans,& Yes,I wolfed them all in 1 sitting,washed em' down with cold miso soup,It's ono! Mahalo!

Aloha Richlacal. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Seems like you likes your azuki beans. grin

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, brandtb), 295 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.