Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#229173 - 08/04/11 10:55 PM New Stoves from MSR
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Looks like MSR is putting out some new takes on some of it's most venerable stoves. New Stoves from MSR.

The MSR MicroRocket:

The MSR Whisperlite Universal:

Looks like interesting stuff!

HJ

#229175 - 08/04/11 11:29 PM Re: New Stoves from MSR [Re: Hikin_Jim]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
The universal burns alcohol, butane, gasoline, or kerosene. Very Nice.

#229176 - 08/04/11 11:34 PM Re: New Stoves from MSR [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
The universal burns alcohol, butane, gasoline, or kerosene. Very Nice.
It burns alcohol? I haven't seen anything to indicate that it burns alcohol. If true, that would be very cool.

Do you have any further information on the alcohol angle? A link perhaps?

HJ

#229177 - 08/04/11 11:44 PM Re: New Stoves from MSR [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Nothing I have read suggests that the Whisperlite will burn alcohol and I too would like to see a link that states that it will burn alcohol.

The MicroRocket looks promising. I am not a weight weenie by any means however at first glance, the slightly smaller size appears to be a major plus for my kit as it will allow this smaller stove to fit into an existing storage bag that the Pocket Rocket is just slightly too big for.

John Lubbock

#229181 - 08/05/11 12:22 AM Re: New Stoves from MSR [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

The MicroRocket looks nice. I think it was smart of them to move the attach point of the pot supports closer to the burner head. I think moving the attach points higher will make for greater stability. And if the pot supports are at all stronger (MSR says that they are), then I think this will be a really good upgrade. This isn't a completely new stove, more like a product improved version.

The new separate ignition? I'm not so sure that has much value. You can see my blog for my thoughts on that.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I bet the new Whisperlite Universal is not designed to burn alcohol. No modern gas/gasoline/kerosene stove is designed to burn alcohol that I know of. The last stove made that I'm aware of that was designed to burn liquid petroleum fuel and alcohol was the Optimus 111T (T = Triple* fuel). I'm not aware of anything thereafter.

I hope I'm wrong. That would be really cool if the W'lite Universal burned four types of fuel instead of just three.

HJ

*Gasoline, kerosene, and alcohol.

#229187 - 08/05/11 12:54 AM Re: New Stoves from MSR [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Jim, I am with you on the MicroRocket finer points and also the non-value of the separate ignition as I just can't see it being very useful for most who already carry a lighter etc.

Once the local gear shop gets these new MicroRocket stoves in stock, I will be purchasing one to test and see if it will become a permanent part of my main cook kit.

John Lubbock

#229200 - 08/05/11 01:50 AM Re: New Stoves from MSR [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Jim, I am with you on the MicroRocket finer points and also the non-value of the separate ignition as I just can't see it being very useful for most who already carry a lighter etc.
Yeah, I'm not sure what they were thinking there on the ignition. Just give me a doggone firesteel. 100X more reliable, particularly at higher altitudes where piezoelectric ignitions tend to fail, especially in cold weather. Not sure who thought this brilliant little gem up. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like a really dumb idea to me.

HJ

#229202 - 08/05/11 01:58 AM Re: New Stoves from MSR [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Well it looks like we are in a bit of a wait for the new stoves to appear on gear store shelves. I found the July 18, 2011 Cascade Designs press release which states:

The 2012 line of MSR stoves featuring the new and redesigned models will debut in Europe at the July 2011 OutDoor Trade Fair and in North America at the August 2011 Outdoor Retailer Summer Market. The line will be available in stores January 2012.

Note that there is also more info in the release about each stove's features.

I added a reminder to my email calendar for January...

John Lubbock

#229209 - 08/05/11 02:42 AM Re: New Stoves from MSR [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Thanks for that press release.

HJ

#229273 - 08/05/11 07:52 PM Re: New Stoves from MSR [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I was hoping the micro rocket will lower the burner height a bit, but seems it's still the same as pocket rocket.

The pocket rocket pot support does suck, wobbly with anything more than single person meal, and if you have a smooth bottom pot it will slide around, and god forbid if it's not on absolute flat terrain and it's windy, feels like the pot will take off if I'm not constantly holding it in place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.