Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#228308 - 07/23/11 04:09 PM Norway Mourns Twin Attack Victims
Nato7 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
What could ever possess someone to do this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14262956

Worst of all to attack a group of defenseless children.

#228314 - 07/23/11 05:15 PM Re: Norway Mourns Twin Attack Victims [Re: Nato7]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I learned a long time ago; you can't rationalize the irrational. frown

That is a horrible, very sad situation there. Brought back a lot of Oklahoma City bombing memories for me.

#228323 - 07/23/11 07:27 PM Re: Norway Mourns Twin Attack Victims [Re: Nato7]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Worst of all to attack a group of defenseless children.

Well, the odds that they will fight back are small, which was probably the main reasoning behind it.

Chain him by the foot to the floor of a school stadium and open the doors to the parents of the children. Any hand weapon is allowed except a gun.

Sue

#228332 - 07/23/11 08:49 PM Re: Norway Mourns Twin Attack Victims [Re: Nato7]
Nato7 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thank you for your comments 7point and Sue.

I just don't know what more can be said. If you are so consumed with hate and intolerance than go somewhere remote and end it.

Why involve innocent people? Whatever message you hoped to convey is now mute.

I still remember the Oklahoma City bombing and the despair and shock of the community to discover it was one their own who perpetrated an act of senseless genocide.

It just reinforces the notion of safety is but an illusion. It cannot be extended to a particular place or culture - everyone is vulnerable and you must be forever vigilant.

#229280 - 08/05/11 09:22 PM Re: Norway Mourns Twin Attack Victims [Re: Nato7]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
On the nation-wide (not local) radio news - when was the last time you heard the name of a 17 year old being buried? A 14 year old? Her name, where she came from and place of funeral? Today, national news included the name, place of origin and burial of 32 victims. Most were in the range 14-20. One 30 year old. One 51. At the same time, my own kids were playing around my feet and craving lunch, which felt rather bizarre and odd right there and then.

I am numb. I don't know anyone of the victims personally, but that isn't really important right now.

As far as I can tell, most of what has been written on ETS about this incident is correct. However, there are some nuances that I wish to bring forward.

The teenagers that voluntarily engage in political processes are absolutely among the absolute finest young people I can think of. They have my most profound respect. It doesn't matter if their world view at times may be naïve (seen from the perspective of a grumpy, old fart): Their enthusiasm and the voluntary effort to make the world a better place is sorely needed.

It was no ordinary summer camp that was attacked. It was the summer camp of the youth organization of one of the major political parties. The description "an attack on our democratic system" is incredible accurate: The attack was targeted at the training and recruiting base for those willing to engage in the democratic process. Democracy is so much more than a nice buzz word: It is also tedious, slow and frustrating work - and we need some of the most talented youth to engage in that work.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (08/05/11 11:34 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.