The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#222190 - 04/23/11 11:06 AM Housing Wish List
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
There's a good chance that my husband's company will transfer him to another city this summer. Even though nothing is confirmed yet, I've started an informal house hunt while he's out of town. If nothing else, it'll kill a few hours after the kid is in bed, and will help me help our real estate agent.

We'll be staying in Ontario, somewhere in the Canadian Shield between Kingston and the Quebec border, within an hour or so of the great lake. That's a bit of a snowbelt in the winter, with temps into the 30s in the summer. No tornadoes, but thunderstorms and icestorms for sure. Only tiny tremors once in a while and no more nuke plants immediately next door. There are some major chemical plants like Dupont though, and the major provincial highway and railways are in the neighbourhood. We'll go as far North from them as is reasonable.

I think I'm looking forward to it. I'm working on my wish list. Any suggestions? If you were going to uproot and replant your family, what would you be looking for?

Ideally, we'd prefer to be rural not urban. There are lots of great little communities and farm land in the area and we're going to concentrate on those. We've got property out there but are nowhere near ready to build yet.

I'd like some land for my son to roam and for a big garden, a large pantry and storm/root celler, and I think I'd prefer a well to city water. Hydro and natural gas are absolute musts. I'd rather not see my neighbours, (either via distance or trees, preferably both) and a stream, river or pond would be an added bonus.

EDIT: I also want to be able to have rain and burn barrels, compost and a firepit, things strictly outlawed where we live now.

My hubby wants a garage, the bigger the better, and needs a high-speed internet conection.

My son wants trees big enough for a tree house, and cable tv or a satellite. He'd love to be bussed and I'd like him to go to school between home and my hubby's job, no more than a 20 min drive away.

Our daughter wants to be close enough for college and far away enough so my in-laws aren't popping in every day, and high-speed internet is a must for her just like her dad.

What's on your personal housing wish list?

Edited by bacpacjac (04/24/11 09:54 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#222194 - 04/23/11 12:51 PM Re: Housing Wish List [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A large garage/workshop - sort of a working man cave...I realize that ladies can use tools, as well, but that doesn't happen very much in my family.

#222196 - 04/23/11 01:32 PM Re: Housing Wish List [Re: bacpacjac]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Bad experiences with wells in my youth (pollution from phosphate detergents hit 300 feet down!) makes me very hesitant about well water in today's environment. What tests OK today may be very bad tomorrow. So I prefer municipal water supply.

Also, a co-worker and her husband moved into their brand new home last year. It had well water. The well went dry 5 months later. They were not happy to say the least, and major problems between them and the builder ensued. Not what you want.

This year we put in an automatic stand-by natural gas powered generator, which has already been in operation 3 times. In any future home, it is something I would want to have the option to retrofit. They can also run off tanked propane.

Otherwise, it sounds like you pretty much have your dream house already designed...

Good luck! smile

#222199 - 04/23/11 02:07 PM Re: Housing Wish List [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've been thinking about that too, bws48. Maybe we'll be lucky and find a place with both city and well water. Probably wishful thinking.

That's out thinking too, Hikermor. He needs his man space to putter around, work on the vehicles, fix stuff, build stuff, scratch... We saw one on-line that's got an old barn and I think it made the caveman drool a little bit. wink

#222213 - 04/24/11 02:07 AM Re: Housing Wish List [Re: bacpacjac]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Cellar?

#222219 - 04/24/11 09:58 AM Re: Housing Wish List [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Right on, Dewest. We've got a very limited budget so might not get a basement, but a storm/root cellar is something I'm looking for. Water could be a problem so we'll have to do our homework.

#222225 - 04/24/11 03:41 PM Re: Housing Wish List [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My list is similar. It would include high-speed Internet, municipal water and sewer, a professional fire department, big garage, full basement, plenty of storage space, a home office for me, and a kitchen that pleases my wife.

#222232 - 04/24/11 10:20 PM Re: Housing Wish List [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We're definitely simplying in this move! We're not going off the grid but are hoping to get more self-sufficient and basic.

#222267 - 04/25/11 02:20 PM Re: Housing Wish List [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I think that is how I would approach it. It's very similar to the list I had looking for a house in 2004, though in the desert SW. Unfortunately price point put us in a great house but as suburban as it gets.

I've had time to think about how I would do it differently, how some friends have done what you're thinking about and maybe I can give you some of that as a way to approach this.

Property. It is generally not hard to find 3-5 acres of rural land like you're thinking except the concession is you'll most likely see your neighbors to some extent. And really thats not a bad thing. In fact with some tree planting in a few years that would be moot. Friends in the PNW have set up lines of blackberry bushes that grow to shield the view of neighbors and offer some protection thank to the thorns. Plus great summer treat.

Well water. I would go well if I could. I believe you can get water table info and history pretty easily as part of your preliminary searches to narrow down the areas you'll look in. Then upgrade the pump to include solar.

ManCave. If a room, garage or building on the property you're looking at can't be converted, then get enough property to build one. Building would be best as you can build the man cave downstairs, say 1000-1500 sq feet with a guest room on the 2nd floor. It is really not a lot of money to do since plumbing and power are above ground. It's is a nice retreat for the kids or kids sleepover, company and DH can has a bathroom to wash up, not track in stuff. Going with a just a basic metal frame structure is even cheaper.

Gardening, composting, burn/rain barrels. This can be done, very well, with even just 1.5 acres. In fact I'd expect a decent fire pit area to mature with seating and a fortified fire pit.

A recommendation for today. Pick up a copy of Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emory that goes through in great detail finding a suitable place like your looking at.

I gave a dog earred copy to some friends relocating to Idaho with your thinking and they have really taken it to heart.

#222269 - 04/25/11 02:39 PM Re: Housing Wish List [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Comms. Great ideas! I haven't heard of that book but will check it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 492 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.