The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#214998 - 01/16/11 12:39 AM Urg, compass bubble
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
So I took my suunto MB6 to ski the first time, for clinometer really since I wear a suunto core. It developed bubble in subzero temp, and I thought okay, liquid contract so it's unavoidable. But now it's back to room temperature, and the bubble is still there. mad

So what's the deal here, was the capsul not sealed and air got in? The bubble isn't large enough to affect needle. Is there anything to worry about or is it normal?

#214999 - 01/16/11 12:51 AM Re: Urg, compass bubble [Re: jzmtl]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

If the bubble doesn't interfere with the needle it isn't an issue. There are various claims that bubbles can be removed with some combination of agitation and some sort of thermal cycling. The one I've seen most often involves heating, followed by very slow cooling.

When that fails you learn to appreciate the bubble is a flaw that makes it special.

#215001 - 01/16/11 01:04 AM Re: Urg, compass bubble [Re: jzmtl]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
You should contact Suunto. Not so much to complain, but let them know as they are always looking for product feedback where you can detail the conditions that lead to the bubble.

A hiker friend of mine had a bubble form in her compass and after contacting Suunto, they sent her a replacement compass that was a couple of steps up from her model. Suunto also provided a return courier packing slip so she could send in her original compass.

John Lubbock

#215002 - 01/16/11 01:07 AM Re: Urg, compass bubble [Re: jzmtl]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Even if I were to get rid of it, what's to guarantee it won't be back the next time I take it to ski though, so I guess I'll leave it alone and think of it as a bubble level and second clinometer indicator...

Oh and it wasn't even that cold, just -10°C or so.

But now I'm afraid to take my MC-2G into subzero, it's bubble free at the moment. frown

#215003 - 01/16/11 01:17 AM Re: Urg, compass bubble [Re: jzmtl]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Uh oh, this is not good. I looked it over a bit more, there are minute amount of the damping fluid leaked outside capsule, I can see it because it's stuck between the transparent plastic and outer black shell.

So as far as I figure, the liquid contracted in cold, the seal wasn't able to hold the vacuum, and allowed air to leak in. When the liquid expanded again at room temperature, some of the fluid was expelled instead of air.

I wonder if this will happen again and again, and more air gets in, more liquid leaks out. frown

#215005 - 01/16/11 01:33 AM Re: Urg, compass bubble [Re: jzmtl]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Uh oh, this is not good. I looked it over a bit more, there are minute amount of the damping fluid leaked outside capsule, I can see it because it's stuck between the transparent plastic and outer black shell.

[...]

I wonder if this will happen again and again, and more air gets in, more liquid leaks out. frown

Replace it. A small bubble is one thing, leaking oil another. And yes, once they leak they tend to keep leaking. Bummer. On the up side you get a new one.

#215007 - 01/16/11 01:41 AM Re: Urg, compass bubble [Re: jzmtl]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Lol, this is a new one, I bought it two days ago.

I'm going ski again tomorrow, so I'll take it and see what happens.

#215011 - 01/16/11 03:37 AM Re: Urg, compass bubble [Re: jzmtl]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
My guess would be altitude, not cold, is what caused the bubble to occur. My Brunton developes a bubble when I hike at altitude that dissappears when I get back home (lower elevation). This is Brunton's pricey 8099 Eclipse model.

No more expensive fluid filled compasses for me. My next purchase wil be one of the US military Cammenga's. I wasn't sure if I would be able to use this type of compass with my older eyes and bifocals, so I bought a pair of cheap trainer/imitations from SportsmansGuide. They don't sell these anymore, but it was something like "two for $9.99" back when they carried them. These trainers allowed me to test out how the lensatic compass design would work for me before spending the money on a Cammenga (it works just fine - no problem with old eyes and bifocals).

I see no need for the tritium model, so I plan to get the less expensive phosphorescent model:

http://store.cammenga.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=23

#215013 - 01/16/11 03:56 AM Re: Urg, compass bubble [Re: jzmtl]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
A fellow at work sent in a bunch of compasses for warranty repair; the rule was that if the bubble was larger than 1cm dia. then that would effect the compass. I sent in 4 compasses, one had a 1 cm bubble and the others had lost up to 1/2 the fluid in the capsule.

Suunto replaced the one with the smaller bubble with an MC-2, but the other models had been discontinued at least 10 years ago and were unrepairable due to a lack of replacement parts. Mike

#215038 - 01/16/11 04:45 PM Re: Urg, compass bubble [Re: haertig]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
+1 on the Cammenga military compass.It is a dry cell compass and air bubbles is one of the reasons the military uses them. They go from high altitude parachute drops to sea level landings with no ill affects.
I live in a neighboring county where the Cammenga company is located.I even applied for work there.Cammenga is a small company that has great customer service.The owner of the company personally dealt with me when I applied.Regretably they were not hiring.
We talked for an hour on compasses and my use of them in them in the military.I bought one years before and could tell it would be a good company to work for.They make a solid product(nearly bombproof)that has been passed on from father's to son's.
So no affiliation with them(but would like to have)and just a happy customer...

BOATMAN
John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.