The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#216635 - 02/08/11 01:51 AM Kiddie Prep
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
when i got to the school to drop my niece off for kindergarten on friday afternoon, one of my son's friends ran up and told me that my son was hurt on the other side of the school. i left her in the supervised JK/SK yard and headed around back to find him.

thankfully he just had a bloody nose, not broken or seriously bleeding, but bloodied. (*#@!N bullies!)

long story short, neither of us was prepared. mama bear spazed and didn't bring my "purse", which has kleenex, a bandana and a first aid kit in it. i was just jumping out of the car to deliver her to her teacher, so left it in there. lesson learned.

he's got all three in his backpack too, knows how to use them and has, but it stays in the school at lunch and recess. he's got kleenex and bandaids in his coat pocket now, but what else should i make him edc on his person? my pockets are loaded (kleenex restocked, bandana replaced and 1st aid kit returned), but he's rough and tumble, so his need to be light and soft. he's 7, and i always figure his teachers should be prepped for those times, but he didn't go to them, just went and sat by himself. (that's another long story, that ends with him moving to a new, much smaller school in a couple of weeks.)

Thanks!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#216637 - 02/08/11 03:06 AM Re: Kiddie Prep [Re: bacpacjac]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Hi,
looks like your son has just about everything you could expect him to carry. Bullying is the pits, I'm glad you seem to have a way forward.

Two possible suggestions: a list of contact phone numbers for him to carry and a mini whistle.

I've got a few mini whistles on order (no affiliations) for my kids (and me).
They can be threaded to make a paracord pull tab which I'll attach to their jackets, bags and I'll put one on their keyrings. They are surprisingly loud for their size.

(I hope this picture works)

Attachments
Miniwhistle.JPG

#216638 - 02/08/11 03:27 AM Re: Kiddie Prep [Re: bacpacjac]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Kinda OT, but FWIW, re bullying: in my young and formative years, I was taught to turn the other cheek, always. Noble sentiment and a worthy aspiration; but in a tough school, you need to prove a willingness to fight before words of peace have any meaning. A sad commentary, perhaps; but the human animal is what it is. There are many who will not discern an active effort for peace from passive fear and weakness. I did what I was expected to do: turned the other cheek. I confess that there are a few heads I would still like to clock (and am quite capable of adjusting the timing of, including the time zone). I think my sister, in instructing her boys, had a better approach: you don't throw the first punch, but by gad you throw the second. My $0.02.

#216640 - 02/08/11 03:52 AM Re: Kiddie Prep [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
thin nylon wallet with photo ID, public phone calling card or coins, emergency contact numbers,family dentist and doctor's name, hospital choice and any prescription meds, list of any non family members allowed to transport him.... a couple of ..3x3 gauze pads, cloth knuckle bandages, antiseptic wipes, discrete whistle,micro light, colored handkerchief that doesn't show blood, easy to use bandage tape

I worked at a high school, and although the contact information was on file in the clinic, was not available after general working hours...problems arise on who has the right to pick up the student in case of marital custody disputes...what treatment is allowed under religious beliefs etc.... we have a process called the "Baker Act" (typically reserved for intoxicated or mental patients to prevent harm to themselves)under which our resource officer could place a student in protective custody to allow emergency services to treat

Edited by LesSnyder (02/08/11 04:37 PM)

#216641 - 02/08/11 04:08 AM Re: Kiddie Prep [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
One tool for a kid I would suggest is a flashlight. In a building, lights do go out. It is nice to have a source of light.

Also, what if something goes wrong, someone is not where they are supposed to be and it's after dark. Once again, a flashlight comes in handy.

Jeanette Isabelle

#216650 - 02/08/11 11:50 AM Re: Kiddie Prep [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks gang!

He`s got a full compliment of stuff in his school backpack but we definitely need to get him to carry some on his person or in his coat. the pack does him no good at recess or lunch. The wallet with info, small 1st aid kit, whistle and light are great ideas. I`m not sure about the whistle`s effectiveness but I`m an optomist. I`m still trying to convince him to wear a micro photon around his neck like me, but it`s too distracting for him.

As for the bullying, I`ve got an appoitment with the principal today, with a few of the other parents. The school is just too big, with too many kids on the field and not enough supervision. the big kids are preying on the little kids and it`s not right. We`re moving him to a smaller school at the end of the month and have already seen positive signs there.

Our family rule is simple: don`t throw the first punch, use your words first and then try to get away. If that doesn`t work, go ahead and fight back.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#216657 - 02/08/11 02:36 PM Re: Kiddie Prep [Re: bacpacjac]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I was in a new school every year from K-9 (Army brat). I got to break in a new bully every year. Fortysome years ago the SOP of turning the other cheek and telling the staff was generally ineffective--but was my only course of action. Three weeks into sixth grade, I hit my set point, and stomped the snot out of the bully (i.e. Ralphie, in 'A Christmas Story'). When he came back into school with raccoon eyes, a taped nose, and a broken wrist, he was NOT interested in me. That reputation successfully followed me across town to junior high the following year. Guess who the 9th graders didn't mess with?
I didn't get much negative feedback from that incident, but I hate to think what it would be like today.
What I did learn in high school from that, was that a more controlled attack could strike as much fear/respect, with less damage.

edited for clarity

Edited by UncleGoo (02/08/11 02:37 PM)

#216658 - 02/08/11 02:37 PM Re: Kiddie Prep [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Does he carry a house key yet? That is a great place for a small light as well.

#216670 - 02/08/11 06:56 PM Re: Kiddie Prep [Re: bacpacjac]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Regarding the bullying, that's the big problem here. It needs to be addressed immediately somehow.

#216677 - 02/08/11 07:47 PM Re: Kiddie Prep [Re: bacpacjac]
Kukulkan Offline
Stranger

Loc: Los Angeles
If you are in an area where a jacket is always going to be worn at recess, then I think you put some basic items (gauze, band-aids, whistle, bandana, your business card with all phone numbers on it, flashlight, money) in a jacket pocket. The problem comes if you live in an area where jackets normally aren't worn. Getting children to keep tabs on EDC gear is like herding cats. At 7, your son just won't be able to do it with any regularity and the pockets on the pants of 7 year old boys just aren't big enough to carry much.

Moreover, a first aid kit isn't really something your son needs to carry around at school (ok, I'm being something of a hypocrite here, as my son's backback includes minimal first aid supplies). The school has a much more complete first aid kit than your son will be able to carry in his pockets. And, if your son's first aid needs cannot wait the additional 5 minutes it takes to alert a teacher and get the first aid kit, then the injury will be so severe that a minimal first aid kit wouldn't cut the mustard anyway.

Very sorry to hear about the bullying problem. My own experiences never went beyond intimidation. Even big kids can be the targets of bullies, since bullies have no compunction about acting in packs. My 7 year-old son is small for his age, but luckily is in a relatively small school and has not reported any bullying problems. Glad to hear that he will be moved to a smaller school.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 547 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.