Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213378 - 12/21/10 04:59 AM Old versus new.
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A crash test between a 2009 Malibu and a 1959 Bel Air. Watch the video:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/12/crash-test-2009-malibu-vs-1959-bel-air/

Assuming you were in the Bel Air.

The good news: the Bel Air is about 2/3 salvageable. A new front end and driver door, and a little frame straightening and it will be back on the road. The uni-body of the new car makes it a total loss.

The bad news: If you were in the Bel Air you are either dead, or so badly mangled you are looking forward to death. Notice how the dummy bounces around. Before you can start the rebuild you have to hose the bodies out. Whereas the driver in the Malibu walked away.

I like old cars. They are roomy, tough, and easy to work on. Just don't get in a crash with one.

People who are seeking to avoid vehicles with electronics, on the off chance there is a EMP event, need to keep in mind older vehicles can get you mangled or killed in a serious accident. Life is a matter of trade-offs. Thousands die every month on the road. As far as I can tell nobody has died from an EMP, yet. Choose wisely.

#213384 - 12/21/10 07:23 AM Re: Old versus new. [Re: Art_in_FL]
LED Offline
Veteran

Awesome video, thanks for posting. Didn't they go through the same thing with F1 racing? Making the cars super tough and rigid in the 70's, which was terrible for the driver, to todays energy absorbing bodies. Thank goodness for modern technology.

#213388 - 12/21/10 10:33 AM Re: Old versus new. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

When i bought mine car i was having the cars on one side of mine computer screen and the crashtest page on the other side. Guess having worked for the firedepartment makes you have diffrent priorities.

There is a significant diffrence in crash protection between cars. Even cars from the 90's are really poor compaired to the latest ones.

Lots of people say that you are more likely to die from going somewhere than doing [insert any activity]. But making car travel safer is something you can influance, unlike lots of other things.

#213431 - 12/21/10 11:41 PM Re: Old versus new. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Fascinating. I would have thought that the presumably more massive older car would have fared better than it did.

Thanks for the post.

HJ

#213436 - 12/22/10 12:34 AM Re: Old versus new. [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Another thing that people don't typically realize is that safety ratings are only applicable when compared to vehicles of the same weight class. This means that, if a compact car and a full size car crash into each other, the full size car typically has a significant advantage, even if they both carry the same five star rating.

Presently there is a big push toward smaller cars due to their potentially better fuel economy. However, some people fail to realize the safety tradeoff that comes with driving a smaller vehicle.

#213457 - 12/22/10 04:13 AM Re: Old versus new. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You drive the Malibu until the EMP strike, THEN you drive the Bel Air. As with many things, it's all in the timing. ;-)

"Presently there is a big push toward smaller cars due to their potentially better fuel economy. However, some people fail to realize the safety tradeoff that comes with driving a smaller vehicle."

When no one can afford to drive the big cars, everyone will be driving little cars, and the crash equality will be better.

A young female idiot in a mini Cooper tried to pass me on the right on the freeway last night, over the fog line, up against a concrete wall. Maybe she saw my grin behind the window of my Chev Suburban, and maybe she didn't, but she suddenly grew a couple of brain cells and backed off. I'm not going to swerve away from her into the gasoline tanker, I would rather grind her into the concrete wall.

Sue

#213459 - 12/22/10 05:50 AM Re: Old versus new. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

As I understand it weight, in and of itself, doesn't count for a whole lot and doesn't correlate directly to increased safety. It can help determine how much damage your vehicle will do but it has little influence on the safety of the occupants.

Semis and buses gain a benefit in passenger safety not so much because of their weight as the fact that the passenger compartment is well above the level where most other vehicles can strike it. If the passenger compartment is lower it tends to have to absorb more punishment.

Punishment a well engineered vehicle can better absorb without the passenger compartment being compromised. Volvo is a good example of a company that has put a lot of effort into protecting passengers. Innovations like designing the engine mounts and body so the engine will ride under the passenger compartment in a head-on collision.

#213462 - 12/22/10 06:22 AM Re: Old versus new. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Susan

When no one can afford to drive the big cars, everyone will be driving little cars, and the crash equality will be better.

While that is true to a point, unless everyone is driving around in exactly the same vehicle, it's almost impossible to really make things truly equal. The difference between a sub-compact car and even a typical midsize car (like a Toyota Camry) is huge, never mind between a sub-compact and a 6,000+lb truck or SUV.

Here's a neat video that demonstrates a crash between a compact car and a midsize car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcTf78b8WfY

With that said....Presently, the #1 and #2 top selling vehicles in the world are the Ford F150 and the Chevrolet Silverado, both full size pickups. For the most part, it has been this way for a long time. Therefore, IMO, that is worth taking into consideration when deciding on a new vehicle to purchase.

I'd rather spend a few extra dollars on fuel a year than have to worry about the bumper of the most popular vehicles sold being aimed right at my head (with just a thin piece of glass to separate the two). wink

#213463 - 12/22/10 06:23 AM Re: Old versus new. [Re: Paul810]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Paul810
Another thing that people don't typically realize is that safety ratings are only applicable when compared to vehicles of the same weight class. This means that, if a compact car and a full size car crash into each other, the full size car typically has a significant advantage, even if they both carry the same five star rating.

Presently there is a big push toward smaller cars due to their potentially better fuel economy. However, some people fail to realize the safety tradeoff that comes with driving a smaller vehicle.

Yes. New and big versus new and small:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pVF1Wr7GLQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02eghIfyHP0

But Old and big versus new and small:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY

As for height diffrences:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKtuRMJrsg&NR=1

Note that people tend to drive more dangerously in safer cars, because they feel safer.

Edited by Tjin (12/22/10 06:33 AM)

#213464 - 12/22/10 06:37 AM Re: Old versus new. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
On a Freeway/Highway/Blvd/etc. The Heavier/Larger Vehicle IS going to have,The Advantage,As far as Vehicle to Vehicle crash is concerned,Regardless of passenger position/disposition.Short of a T-bone into the drivers side door,that is!Inertia play's a Big role,Regardless of said highly engineered,Crash tested Volvos/Saabs/Mercedes/etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 379 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.